Are Download Speeds Affected by What Client You're Connected To?

flak

I'm hoping this isn't a unique situation to me.

For some odd reason every time I download a torrent where the initial seeder is using any version of Bittornado (and any other Bittornado users who subsequently join the swarm), my download speeds slow to a crawl as it relates specifically to them. Whereas other torrents and other clients I happen to be downloading at the same time are unaffected. Occasionally, after a reboot, things return to normal for a little while and then just tank again.

At first I thought it may have just been the site I was using, but I have discovered this to be true now elsewhere, too. When connected to other clients, things run smoothly. What I have noticed, FWIW, is that the ip address for all torrents being seeded by Bittornado specific to that site is the same - presumably, that means the source is a dedicated server.

So the question is: is there some setting I've cocked up in utorrent or is it possible there is some other hardware/software issue involved?

Am running 1.61, PE enabled, all other settings determined by the speed guide.

No router used.

I should also state that, after conducting tests I conducted on A.N. Other client(s), I don't seem to have this problem.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

the initial seeder has probably ticked the initial seeding checkbox. So if you yourself have a low uploadspeed, you will not get pieces from those peers much faster then you yourself send them out.

That's the purpose of initial(aka. super) seeding. So this observation would be the same for all clients you connect to if they have implemented the initial seeding feature correctly.

Also, I guess it's remotely possible that there's a subtle overload that occurs when downloading from a BitTornado client...IF you have minor hardware or software networking problems on your end.

This would be a bad router/modem/network adapter, Windows half open limit close to or lower than µTorrent's half open limit, or have µTorrent's settings set way too high for your connection.

Interesting about the half-open limits, Switeck. I'll check that though I suspect the problem isn't there seeing as how the limit I set in utorrent is half that of what I patched for Windows. Unless, of course, that is still too close.

Thanks for the help anyway.

• 1 year later...

after some search came to this topic.

assuming settings and speed is fine, i notice having problems communicating with bittornado clients.

it was seen in the pte tracker's web that the bittornado user has high upload speed but i juz couldn't get any speed from them, eventually led to the user being snubbed. i have tried disable/ enable encrpytion (the bittornado wasn't on E tho). have tried 1.61/77/8/8b, all same results. it happened coincidentally on other bittornado users too.

what could be wrong? thanks.

Archived