µTorrent 1.7 BETA (1355)

Vogon

Hi!

I dunno if this a sort of bug or it's not a problem of µTorrent.

When i download a torrent.. I get a pop-up with the files and where i want to download it and what the name of the folder should be.

When you take a foldername with things like / \ * ? " < > and | and you press ok... then it gives an error like cannot find file. It is because Windows won't allow you to use those signs in folder or filesnames. I dunno if this is a bug that is also in older versions.

Thnx for reading

I'll be waiting for a reply :)

Ok let me make it clear. It's not that you change the foldername in Windows itself. You CREATE a foldername with µTorrent. Shouldn't µTorrent protect you from using those sigsns in Windows? Else you get this "File not found.." error.

I'm sorry if this is supposed to @ the suggestions part of this forum.

Thnx for answering Ultima!

Yeah that was my point. µTorrent allows those signs in the pathname so then it tries to create it but Windows doesn't allow that so there is no folder created but µTorrent starts the torrent and gets an error because the files don't excist because the folder isn't created.

I just wanted to confirm that I am understanding the issue before we tackle it.

When you add a torrent, there is a text field with the path. If you enter an illegal character there, it will allow you to continue, but respond with an error upon downloading.

"Error: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect"

This is the issue to fix, right?

If you click on the "..." button to the right, it properly filters out illegal characters.

Yeah exactly that error! But yeah okay when you create a new dir in the "..." popup then it works fine. The thing is i always type the new foldername in the popup that comes up with adding a torrent. Maybe there should be a check if there arn't any illegal chars in that bar.

I dunno if those signs are illegal in any other OS because then you could make a check. but if there is an OS which accepts those signs then i can understand you want to let the OS decide which signs are illegal or not by creating a new dir in the "..." menu.

There is also an other option... maybe i should not type those signs in that bar. Usualy i don't... but it was a misstype, that's how i found it. haha

Thnx for your time!

Okay ^^ it seems like we are thinking the same way ^^. Ok I think you guys will discuss it :) I see forward to the new changelog of the new version of 1.7

Thnx

edit cause double posts are not allowed:

Oh lol... just found something funny haha. I just saw i saved a torrent in a map with a /.

When i do open containign folder. It goes to "My Documents" while the mapname corretly spelled without the / does exist in my torrent folder. haha. So i can't find the folder and then i goes to "My Documents" haha

Archived