Ability to limit download speed to 0

caeci11ius

Hi everyone,

Here in Australia, we all have download quotas which if we exceed, we get our speed greatly reduced. That said, many ISPs offer quota free periods (for example, I may download between midnight and 7am without it going towards my quota) and don't count uploads towards your quota. As uploads are much slower than downloads due to speed capping/technology limitations, it would be good if I could use the scheduler to set my clients download speed to 0 during the day but still upload (good for the community too). That way, I can not have my speed capped and still download a lot, plus I can share way more stuff than I'd otherwise be able to.

In short:

Would be good to have the ability to limit the download speed in the scheduler to 0 while still having a value for upload. Currently, values of 0 are removed and changed back to unlimited (I expect this is to prevent people setting upload limits of 0, but surely one should be able to set a download limit of 0?).

Ah very good. Might be a good idea in some future release to add a tip about this feature to the scheduler page though so people can find it, and perhaps also put the red colour in the legend for the scheduler diagram...but I'm sure someone's already thought of that and was just a bit quicker implementing the feature than adding it properly to the interface...

Thanks for your help...

Even uploading takes some download bandwidth just for communications between your end, other peers/seeds, and trackers. DHT can actually be the biggest consumer of download bandwidth in that case, so you may want to disable DHT (and don't bother forwarding UDP packets on your router if you never use it.)

While you're at it, you may want to disable resolve peer ips and show country flags. That also takes extra download bandwidth...though not much.

Having lots of connections at once also eats a bit. While seeding, having more than 30 connections per torrent is insane. Also a high half open rate (like greater than 4) is only necessary if you are firewalled and/or lots of peers are constantly losing connection to you.

Archived