uTorrent using huge amount of VM

Invy

It's currently at 277,000 K and I have changed absolutely nothing in teh settings. The other day I was surprised that it was at 350,000K RAM usage when I had looked at the Task Manager.

I've only been having this problem since I've upgraded uTorrent a few days ago, so don't say it's my settings.

I've barely restarted uTorrent about 24 hr ago. Since that point in time, i've downloaded 8 torrents totaling 9 GB. Usually uTorrent only goes up to around 75,000 k or so when I am downloading, but this time it's just ridiculous.

I'm only using Windows XP firewall. No antivirus.

I said I upgraded the other day when 1.7 1355 was released... so yeah that one. But, I had no problems whatsoever when I was using 1.61 beta 488 or whatever it was.

I changed no settings since i've upgraded from the version mentioned above.

What settings exactly do you want to know?

Ok... for the time being, disable ALL of your caching, and leave it off... and in a while, see how your memory footprint is...

(btw... personally, I don't see much benefit of having the read cache enabled unless you are one of the rare individuals with a symmetric high speed connection...) (and I don't mean DSL)

-- Smoovious

so basically uncheckmark everything? you are aware that i'm talking about VM size, correct? not 'mem usage' as it is named in the task manager.

I did that now and I restarted utorrent. When uTorrent is minimized in the tray, task manager currently reads: around 8000k 'mem usage' and 18000k 'vm size'. I'll let you know what it is in about 2 hrs.

I was wondering... does the amount of torrents I have loaded, their respective file sizes, or the amount that i'm currently seeding, have any effect on this problem? I know it's still going to take up a few MB but maybe it's causing something to go wrong here.

yeah, go ahead, but leave your read cache turned off... reading isn't near as intensive as writing, when you figure in the upstream speed, the number of active sends at a time, etc, compared to downloading...

btw... Just how many active torrents were you speaking of?

-- Smoovious

about 110 seeding. (280 total) yeah. I tend to not remove torrents very often..

only a handful are over 1 GB in size, including one that is 18 GB. But most are less than 500MB.

the first time I noticed the VM problem, it took at least a few hours for it to skyrocket to 200MB+. So yeah, i'll let you know in a few hours what it reads.

By the way, I have 1 GB of RAM. It doesn't seem to affect performance all. But, seeing the number 650 MB under 'PF usage' in task manager is not very pleasing to the eye, when it is usually supposed to hover around 250-300 :)

EDIT: ok well, after a few hours utorrent had climbed to around 87000k when I had really only added a couple of more downloads.

I downgraded back to 1.6.1.490 and it's been open for a while and is been perfectly normal with only around 22,000k usage ...

Archived