What a incredible client......... lets improve it further :)

DutchDude

Let my start by saying that you have truly created an incredible bittorrent client. Many thanks for that and keep up the good work.

I would like to have the following features added to this amazing client, actualy some of these are supported by other clients:

1) The ability to bypass the check and directly start seeding a torrent

2) Seeded torrents are unloaded at shutdown (moved to the completed torrents folder and therefore not reloaded). But i would like the ability to have the seeding torrents continuing running after shutdown, even if they are moved to completed folder.

3) I would like the ability to reset the stats on a torrent (so it matches the stats on a tracker)

4) The ability to skip the filecheck of a torrent that is 100% complete

5) The ability to limit the count of download-torrents that connect to a tracker (on a per tracker basis)

6) A warning from uTorrent when a torrent was added with no seeders and less then 100% availability (and offcourse turn it of on a per torrent basis avoiding message floods)

1) The ability to bypass the check and directly start seeding a torrent

This doesn't sound right.... IF the files don't get checked then you might just be seeding shit to the swarm and that would be nice if you wanted to poison the swarm. :P

2) Seeded torrents are unloaded at shutdown (moved to the completed torrents folder and therefore not reloaded). But i would like the ability to have the seeding torrents continuing running after shutdown, even if they are moved to completed folder.

A way not to have to seed? The completed torrents are all grouped together and easy to remove... And not too sure about getting torrents to seed after shutting down uTorrent.

3) I would like the ability to reset the stats on a torrent (so it matches the stats on a tracker)

Not too sure if you are able to _get_ stats from the tracker but sounds like an alright idea.

4) The ability to skip the filecheck of a torrent that is 100% complete

Isn't this feature 1? Although, how does uTorrent know it is 100% complete if it doesn't check the files?

5) The ability to limit the count of download-torrents that connect to a tracker (on a per tracker basis)

This seems like an alright idea but I don't think uTorrent hammers the tracker these days and it is a very pain the the arse thing to impliment.

6) A warning from uTorrent when a torrent was added with no seeders and less then 100% availability (and offcourse turn it of on a per torrent basis avoiding message floods)

I like this idea. Although I think that using dont count slow dl might work as most of the time those torrents don't really have that many peers, but definately a good idea say after 30min it can take action if there is availability less than 1. Even though there may not be, people who want to risk it can use this feature.

1)

This doesn't sound right.... IF the files don't get checked then you might just be seeding shit to the swarm and that would be nice if you wanted to poison the swarm. :P

Didn't look at it that way. I had torrents in mind on a website i know which has torrents exceeding 5000 zip files. which really take long time to check. Looking from your point of view it makes sense to deny this feature, so i agree.

2)

A way not to have to seed? The completed torrents are all grouped together and easy to remove... And not too sure about getting torrents to seed after shutting down uTorrent.

You miss the point here. I mean I WANT to seed, but when i shutdown & restart the client the seeding torrents are removed from my active torrent list, which in turn forces me to reload the .torrent file to get it seeding again. I think this is caused by the move of the .torrent file to the 'completed' folder specified in settings. I also would like the ability to seed forever (i can allways manually close down the seeding torrent if i wanted too)

Not too sure if you are able to _get_ stats from the tracker but sounds like an alright idea.

Well even only settings the local stats to 0 might help. Again this is interesting for me cause my actual up/down are disclosed to me using a webpage. After the torrent has been shut down, the exchanged bytes get settled with the global stats, and running stats are set to 0. So to have the website report 0 i have to close all running connections to the tracker, but to zero-out my local stats i have to restart the client as well.

4)

Isn't this feature 1? Although, how does uTorrent know it is 100% complete if it doesn't check the files?

It knows it has all files because it was seeding it before, and has checked it several times before it even started seeding. But again, with 1) in mind i have to agree to leave this feature out. I would like though to have the torrent-check at a lower priority when performing a check, cause with torrents containing 5000+ files it locks up the PC.

5)This seems like an alright idea but I don't think uTorrent hammers the tracker these days and it is a very pain the the arse thing to impliment.

I can see this would be difficult, but perhaps for a later version you could keep it in mind. It's not just about hammering, but with minor modifications it could also be used to implement a upload/download speed per tracker (instead of per torrent or overall).

6)

I like this idea. Although I think that using dont count slow dl might work as most of the time those torrents don't really have that many peers, but definately a good idea say after 30min it can take action if there is availability less than 1. Even though there may not be, people who want to risk it can use this feature.

I'm looking forward to this....

Btw: Thanks for the quick responses. I can't really remember which client it was that allowed torrents to be added directly in seeding mode (skipping the check), but it must have been either BitLord or BitComet. But i de-installed these clients when i came across uTorrent :D

I know azureus would let you not check the torrents. Which was alright. I liked how azureus did check a torrent when it was completed so you could have one final check before it was marked as finished. Every now and again somehow it would fail and I would need to download one piece or so.

I think cpu_low or whatever it is should check in idle cpu time although that might be a bug if torrents with heaps of files locks up your computer. I have noticed that checking is actually surprisingly good.

PS. sorry I didn't understand your seeding question, I never shutdown uTorrent but I always thought it reloaded the seeds as well as the downloads.

Don't think it is a bug, uTorrent checks way better then the other clients i have tried sofar. They all lock-up the computer when checking very large torrents caused by Disk IO needing 100% CPU power. From time to time an unfreeze does happen while checking, and as soon the whole torrent is checked all things go to normal (even sedding the large torrents). I think allowing the check of large torrents to be at a lower priority would solve this problem, and free up some CPU to update the GUI and network IO.

Again this is not a huge problem. I can simply let it run for appx 3-5 mins, which is the time required to perform the largest check, after which everything goes to normal.

I imagine that only happens on slower CPUs, since on my machine, the CPU use only goes to around 55-60% when checking. The limiting factor on faster machines is IO speed :P

A "friendly hash checking" option might be a good idea for those on slower machines though.

@DutchDude: From previous observations of the sticky, I'd say that it isn't updated often unless a majorly important/highly requested feature needs to be addressed in that way (so that people would know not to request it). Because it's not there doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't going to be implemented.

unfortunately idea #6 can't really be implemented because you don't know if the availability is less than or greater than 1 until after you've tried connecting to all the peers.

Well.... thats what the delay was for i think.... i don't care if the delay is set to let's say 1 day, and you then get a prompt.

Yeah, but still, there is no garentee that you connect to every peer.

So peer A has 100%, B has 10%, C is you.

A-B-C.

You can't see a seed but maybe someone else is connected to one, or someone with the missing pieces and will end up seeding that to the swarm. I think for that reason the feature won't get implimented because it isn't a sure thing that there isn't a whole copy in the swarm.

@paritybit

you are right, but the percents are not simply summerized, the peer is able to report the availablity ratio of every single part. So you would now weither the file is complete. But the problem is that you would not have that information until you connect to all the peers.

AFAIK µT reports when there are no seeders (peer with 100% automatically becomes a seeder), meaning the posibility to have incomplete download is quite high.

May be this feature should be an advanced option where you set "the number of seeders below which you get a warning" initially set to 1

• 1 month later...

I would like something similar, though I prefer to have two new columns on torrents list and/or two new items in the "General" tab, section "Transfer": Downloaded this session and Uploaded this session. Maybe "session" is not the right word. What I mean is the upload and download since the torrent was started for the last time. Usually this is what you see in your profile / active torrents on private trackers.

I have seen numerous complains "your tracker is not counting my UL properly" to which the site admin usually replies "your client is not reporting it properly" :) If the client displays the session UL and DL it will help troubleshooting such problems.

Archived