µtorrent freezing system

Cloin

I seem to be having a problem with my client where upon adding a torrent it will lock my system down completely and force me to reboot. The memory usage does not spike and stays in at a reasonalbe rate, I have absolutely no firewall or antivirus software installed and am also not getting the disk overload error. I've tried rolling back to older versions and that didn't help either, nor did anything I read on the FAQ :\ any thoughts?

When was the last time you performed Windows Update? If you've ever patched TCPIP.sys, when was the last time you patched it, and how much did you set the limit to? What is net.max_halfopen set to? Can you get Process Explorer from sysinternals.com, run it, File > Save, then post the contents of the saved process list in the .txt file here?

I have been having the same issue. I've done some trouble shooting with my machine and i've come to the conclusion that uTorrent is causing my machine to lock up after several hours of uptime.

I recently reformatted, reinstalled windows, updated as much as possible. I load uTorrent to start downloading, a few hours later the machine locks up, requiring a reboot. The lock-up time differs day to day, with the longest uptime being 18 hours, the least a mere 2 hours.

Also just turning the comp on and not loading any additional programs then allows it to run flawlessly for 2 days (and counting).

I have no logs of any errors, so this is rather odd I must say. Hope this helps some how.

My uptime without the program running is also flawless. I downloaded the process explorer you guys suggested and it's very handy but unfortunately my cpu usage doesn't spike when I get the freeze, it simply freezes whatever I'm doing and I can't even move the cursor or get to the task manager. Only thing that works is a reboot. I've read more than I care to remember about different issues people have had and I can't for the life of me find anything that sounds like exactly what I'm experiencing.

I've got the latest version of the beta, same problem still. Same problem with the stable version, and same problem with the old versions. Only time I don't get the issue is when there isn't a torrent active. I don't mean to sound like a whiny brat or someone who isn't trying to help themselves but I've exhausted my resources at this point and I'd rather not give up on the software because I really do enjoy and appreciate it. Hopefully someone can help! Thanks guys.

i have the same problem, I have a hunch its because im using a wireless USB adaptor but i dont know, what type of internet connection do you have.

oh and its not only utorrent its also Azereus ( thought id see if it was only utorrent or vista)

and im also using Home Premium

I'm having the same problem of receiving the blue window of death.

Here is the text only version of my process explorer report while running utorrent:

Process PID CPU Description Company Name

System Idle Process 0 21.21

Interrupts n/a 1.52 Hardware Interrupts

DPCs n/a 4.55 Deferred Procedure Calls

System 4 3.03

smss.exe 536 Windows NT Session Manager Microsoft Corporation

csrss.exe 592 1.52 Client Server Runtime Process Microsoft Corporation

winlogon.exe 624 Windows NT Logon Application Microsoft Corporation

services.exe 668 1.52 Services and Controller app Microsoft Corporation

svchost.exe 836 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

svchost.exe 892 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

svchost.exe 956 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

vsmon.exe 1040 TrueVector Service Zone Labs, LLC

spoolsv.exe 1496 Spooler SubSystem App Microsoft Corporation

avgamsvr.exe 1868 AVG Alert Manager GRISOFT, s.r.o.

avgupsvc.exe 1880 AVG Update Service GRISOFT, s.r.o.

svchost.exe 1956 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

MsPMSPSv.exe 496 WMDM PMSP Service Microsoft Corporation

svchost.exe 348 Generic Host Process for Win32 Services Microsoft Corporation

imonNT.exe 752 Intel® Active Monitor Win9x Background Service Intel Corp.

iPodService.exe 1416 iPodService Module Apple Inc.

alg.exe 1784 Application Layer Gateway Service Microsoft Corporation

lsass.exe 680 LSA Shell (Export Version) Microsoft Corporation

explorer.exe 1468 Windows Explorer Microsoft Corporation

avgcc.exe 1700 AVG Control Center GRISOFT, s.r.o.

RAM_XP.exe 1720

imontray.exe 1732 imontray MFC Application

zlclient.exe 1740 ZoneAlarm Client Zone Labs, LLC

iTunesHelper.exe 1756 iTunesHelper Module Apple Inc.

realsched.exe 1772 RealNetworks Scheduler RealNetworks, Inc.

firefox.exe 2588 Firefox Mozilla Corporation

notepad.exe 3068 Notepad Microsoft Corporation

explorer.exe 3176 Windows Explorer Microsoft Corporation

procexp.exe 3880 1.52 Sysinternals Process Explorer Sysinternals

utorrent.exe 4000 65.15

www.idled.net/~colin/process.jpg

that spike in usage you see in the tray icon is from when i started the program up and it had grabbed about 8 torrents that had already previously downloaded via rss feed and completed (i had removed them). they add automatically after a crash when i restart it, not sure why but maybe that will give some insight into whats happening.

Archived