uTorrent slowing down Internet

Yoster

For some reason, whenever I open up utorrent and download something, it slows down my Internet. A lot, I cand browse, and online games lag, it doesnt happen when Its off, but I would like it on constantly, so can anyone help me tweak the settings to fix this? Thanks.

Thanks, but can anyone tell me what the things like DHT do? I patched the system file and disabled peer IPs, it really helped, but not completely, but before I move on to chopping down, II would like to know, because I dont want to loose any key features.. Thanks again.

I have tried disabling uPnP, DHT, and lowered the net max halfopen to 4. The only thing that helped was the patch, It really sped things up, but its still noticeably slow. before the patch I couldnt even wait to see how long it took to load a page, with the patch, sites that usually took 2 seconds take around 4 to 6 seconds. I have a 1 mbit DSL ISP, my last computer worked fine with it, and it was a piece of crap. I'm kind of running out of options, and I'm a major user of torrents, so this is a big problem for me, please help.

first of all, make sure you understand what the difference between kb kB and all that is.

(thats why i prefer to write it out kilobits per second or kilobytes per second.)

µT wants a kilo or mega bits value. if you have a 1 mega bit DSL download internet connection than your ISP probably gives you an uploadspeed of 128 kilobits.

where do you get the 60kb/s value from? speed test in CTRL+G or from the contractpaper of your ISP?

Such a low speed would not be more then a crappy ISDN upload line, and you definitely should choose the xx/56k dialup value, yes.

It's also possible (even likely) that BOTH are true!

Roughly 8-10 kilobits/sec download bandwidth is needed to download at 1 KiloBYTE/sec.

So to get 100 KiloBYTES/sec file (or torrent) download speeds, you'd need 800-1000 kilobits/sec download bandwidth...roughly all you have.

But if you upload between 10-40 KiloBYTES/sec for files and torrents, then you probably have AT MOST 384 kilobits/sec upload bandwidth. And it may only be 128 kilobits/sec!

I disabled IP resolving, and when I tried a test at DSL reports, I got 304 upload kbits/s and 1293Kb/s download speed.I switched my connection to 256k and my internet is now back to normal, but out of 4 seeds, 1 is uploading and the rest are queud, I am not connected to anyone on those 3, is that the reason?

it doesn't matter what YOU care about :P

for the BT protocol to fucntion in a way that gives you good downspeeds it's the upspeed the clients care about.

screw the uploadspeed and you subsequently screw your downloadspeed you care so much about :)

Edit: and with respect to your former question: µT will cycle thru the queued torrents. so it is essential to not remove them. if you use a private tracker with ratio enforcement keeping them in the queue instead of deleting them can be essential for you to prevent being banned or have your downloadability revoked untill you seed the stuff you downloaded.

Ok, whatever, :P I think this is good, I just started a torrent with 10 seeds and 54 peers and am getting a down speed ranging from 20 to 50, with an up speed of 15 to 20. I re enabled DHT since it didnt help, how do I enable the peer I resolving? If I right click on peers nothing pops up. Update, download speeds soaring over 80

Archived