First piece always takes FOREVER

NumberSix

Any new torrent, the first piece takes FOREVER to download. Other bittorrent clients seem

more adept at getting the first piece, kickstarting myself into the swarm.

I'll notice that it might be trying to download 3 or 4 pieces, but they've stalled, and utorrent isn't trying very hard to find new sources.

So it just hangs.

Makes the download very slow to get going. Anyone else seeing this?

Any new torrent, the first piece takes FOREVER to download. Other bittorrent clients seem

more adept at getting the first piece, kickstarting myself into the swarm.

I'll notice that it might be trying to download 3 or 4 pieces, but they've stalled, and utorrent isn't trying very hard to find new sources.

So it just hangs.

Makes the download very slow to get going. Anyone else seeing this?

I've never seen a client that *doesn't* do this. It's kind of how Bittorrent works. Until you get your first chunk and start sharing it, you kind of get "scraps" from other peers/seeds. Once you start sharing that first chunk, though, you get the "full-course meal".

-Ares

that is the way all bittorrent clients work, but utorrent takes forever to get that first piece, compared to other clients like Azureus.

I have an example on my machine right now. I'm in a torrent, 3 seeds, 17 peers, it is downloading at .1 kbps when I'm lucky. I look, and it's only requested one piece, it has one block downloaded, and its just sitting there. Its not very agressive in getting that first piece, so I have nothing to share and my download just sits. I loaded this torrent up at least 20 minutes ago.

Never had that issue myself (yet), although getting that first piece going is always an ordeal on any client especially when it's a big piece (4MiB), there's many pieces, and there's not an abundance of peers.

A tip I use to get the first piece is to assign a higher priority to a small file within the pack (hoping it has multiple files, of course). If you can prioritize a small file like a readme or even a thumbs.db, chances are it's only comprised of one piece and therefore you can prioritize a piece. This makes completing one full piece right off the bat less of a hassle and you don't have to wait around getting random blocks of pieces until one finally completes.

In your case, however, I'm thinking it's an issue with your settings. I'll try and keep an eye out on my first pieces and see if I come across this, though.

I finally gave up and opened the torrent in Azureus. It had completed the first piece in under 10 minutes and is now downloading.

This is why I believe that utorrent has an issue.

µTorrent doesn't have an issue if everyone else here doesn't have that problem you're describing. :/ More than likely you're overlooking a setting...

Is anyone even willing to consider that this might be a problem with utorrent?

It took 10 minutes cause I went to take a crap. needless to say, the torrent started downloading immediatly in Azureus, so the torrent *can't* be to blame.

If its a problem in the settings, then there is *a problem with the default settings of utorrent*.

It took hours(!!!) to finish the first piece of that torrent in utorrent. Other clients don't give me this problem, utorrent has this problem frequently.

I LIKE utorrent, but I won't use it if it is so slow to start on torrents with smaller swarms, because other clients can manage better.

The problem seems to me to be that if the first piece stalls, uTorrent isn't very good about finding other sources for that piece in the swarm, or it doesn't give up on that piece and try to download one that might finish faster. It just politely waits for hours for that first piece to finish. It should recognize when its trying to get the first piece, and recognize if its chosen source isn't sending at a reasonable rate, and take action when it identifies a situation like that.

I don't see that happening. I see it request blocks of the piece from somebody, then those light blue areas sit forever, with no new requesting going on (even though there are parts of the piece that are going unasked for), and no download progress on the requests for minutes at a time.

Better yet, is there somewhere I can file an actual bug report?

I can reproduce this bug.

• 1 month later...

Archived