Utorrent has inspired me

Pwnage

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this was what Ic3dOg was referring to: :)

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=1561 (If u notice Pwnage, it was in the Chat section.....)

Thats why I suggested that they sticky the "use search function" topic in ALL the forums. I know the forum content rules is there, but it might not be as effective.

^^^And thats a great idea. Put Chat at the top so that be the first thing ppl see.

Seriously Icedog take a breather. I for one prefer to see people comment on softwares they use and recommend then go to a website with 101 softwares page after page.

There isnt any other thread that people have posted low memory usage softwares besides the "great programs to use" or the thread u specified. But the thread u specified has links to website and i prefer to hear people's opinions.

So im gonna start. The rest can continue if they like.

P2P Blocklist : Peerguardian2

Audio Player : Foobar2000

Chat : Easy Message

Bandwidth meter : Tautology Bandwidth Meter

Ram Tuner : FreeRam XP Pro

These above are all low memory usage. My recommendations. For browsers, firewall etc etc u can wait for other people to comment or go to the link given by jroc.

:)

Yes Icedog thats one of the threads i mentioned in my post.

But those are variety of programs, irrespective of it being low memory or not. They are just good programs according to people's experiences.

Similarly it wd be nice to have a thread on low memory usage programs for people with slower computers etc.

No offence dude, i was just trying to be helpful to the fella.

There's nothing I like more than dependable, lightweight apps.

If you feel you must use a 3rd party firewall app, I'd recommend Kerio Personal Firewall v.2.x, or Look'n'Stop 2.05. Both are very light firewalls and you'll hardly notice that they are there, but, they are not as dummy-proof as say ZA. They do offer good protection though. These are the only firewalls I'll use, if I go back to one.

I've tried lots of AV's and the best overall IMO, if you feel you need to have one installed, is eTrust EZ AV. Very lightweight, thorough and has a clean UI. Nod32 is also lightweight, but I absolutely hated the UI. Very ugly and jumbled-up IMO. EZ AV was also a little lighter on my system. I've heard good things about Clamwin AV as well, but havent tried it myself.

Foobar2000 is a very lightweight music player, but doesnt have the eye-candy of Winamp or Quintessential Player. Who needs that though? Only music player I'll use.

foobar2000 for audio playing (as deeppal suggested above). It's a very nice application, without the useless skinning that *most* other audio players these days seem to come with *cough*Winamp*cough*.

I personally prefer Media Player Classic for playing videos. I don't like the fact that it's only getting bigger (on the megabyte magnitude of change) for each release, but it's still a very nice and compatible player. Otherwise, I agree with ScubaSteve on Foxit and Notepad2 =]

Note: I'm using VLC media player because I'm too lazy to install codecs for videos. Nice and self-contained (codec wise). The interface (at least the Preferences window) needs a serious facelift. I hate how it feels like it 'flashes' each time I switch panels in the Preferences. I blame it on wxWindows, but whatever =P

MPC is getting bigger because it's integrating many things like MP4 splitters, a better MKV splitter, etc. Makes it easier to use without having to install even more crap on top. It's still not very large, and it runs very very fast. It has a built-in AAC decoder, AC3, DTS...

But you can turn all that off if you wanna use external things, which is nice. VLC doesn't provide that, which I don't like. (that, and it doesn't play things as well/as many things as MPC does, at least on my system)

But you can turn all that off if you wanna use external things, which is nice. VLC doesn't provide that, which I don't like. (that, and it doesn't play things as well/as many things as MPC does, at least on my system)

Well, VLC and MPC have a different agenda.

MPC is using the codecs installed on your Windows-System.

it is a lightweight and more versatile replacement vor WMP.

VLC comes with its owns codecs.

It is selfreliant (?) and independant, and perfectly portable (just put it onj a flash drive and take it anywhere you go -- no need to install any codecs on other peoples computers anymore).

My experience is just opposite: VLC can play files that MPC (and all other players that use the Windows codecs) can not play.

Nonetheless I usually use MPC, as it is faster and has a better interface.

i agree that VLC is probably the most versatile player ive found in terms of files it can play. only time i dont use it is for wmv which is when i use koolplaya instead.

as for audio players i cant say ive tried foobar. ive been using quintessnetial player for quite a while now as it has both icandy and very low mem usage ( ive never seen it peak above 1700K )

Archived