Utorrent has inspired me

Pwnage

CUSTOMER ALERT

Kerio Personal Firewall is being discontinued on December 31, 2005. While Kerio will continue to support this product for all customers through 2006, we will not be actively developing any new features or functionality going forward.

We strongly encourage those customers interested in purchasing Kerio Personal Firewall to download the product and evaluate it free of charge for 30 days before purchasing as our strict no refund policy will continue to apply for the three remaining months the product will be available. We thank you for your understanding.

Thats straight from their site.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use Sygate, but because it got bought by symantec, I will soon buy a new firewall(or in a month or two ;))

LooknStop seems nice, a 1 year old test that was made on lots of firewall gave it the best rating.

But it even after 1 year, its still the same version, they haven't really released a new version,

so the development must be slow.

A firewall that could possibly be a new and great firewall when its released(later this year),

is SecurWall by SecurStar (creator of drivecrypt) = http://www.securstar.com/products_swall.php

I recommend Look 'n' Stop firewall. Ranked number one on firewall leak tester (ahead of ZA, Norton etc). Uses about 4mb of memory. VERY configurable. Kept coming back to this one. Used it for a few years now. As for the program not being updated, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". But seriously, a new version is being worked on.

Agree with NOD32. Wouldn't use any other AV after I tried this.

Obviously you don't know much about firewalls. It is used and trusted by a lot of experienced people. Reviewed on many professional sites. They don't make that comment once.

And it doesn't "discards" them. It blocks them. Doesn't reply to the connections. Get what I mean? Probably not :)

Obviously you don't know much about firewalls. It is used and trusted by a lot of experienced people. Reviewed on many professional sites. They don't make that comment once.

And it doesn't "discards" them. It blocks them. Doesn't reply to the connections. Get what I mean? Probably not :)

Oh, thanx.

not replying == discarding

If not, what's the difference in your opinion?

It's just that I'm an IT professional and have a litte idea about this stuff...

What happens, if the firewall does not reply to a connection?

The sender doesn't get _any_ reply.

The funny bit is, that if there is no computer connected to a certain IP, the last router on that route will send a 'host not reachable' reply to the sender, informing it that said IP can not be reached.

So when the sender gets no reply whatsoever, it knows there is a computer trying to hide.

(Of course, one or two packets may get lost, but if the sender tries severals times to connect and doesn't get any response, it's obvious)

Oh, and 'It is used and trusted by a lot of experienced people'... Norton is used by lots of people who consider themselfs experienced. Nonetheless, it's crap.

so overall you would suggest look n stop?

Yes. It isn't easy to use at first but you soon get the hang of it. The advanced rule list when loaded will provide MORE than enough protection. Or you can also download BlackSpears rule list from their forum @ Wilders Security.

oxy, I know many more people and read many more reviews about how good LNS is. So you're one "IT professional" opinion doesn't mean squat to me. Think of it this way, I've never known a Professional to recommend Norton :)

What would you recommend for security, Oxymoron? :| An IPcop-based PC? Or something else entirely?

Well, I _do_ use a desktop firewall (Sygate), but I do not believe it is able to hide my presence or makes me invulnerable to all attacks.

It adds just another layer of security -- as long as you keep in mind that you can still render it useless by your actions (as opening dangerous email attachments et.al.)

oxy, I know many more people and read many more reviews about how good LNS is. So you're one "IT professional" opinion doesn't mean squat to me. Think of it this way, I've never known a Professional to recommend Norton :)

That's fine with me. You don't have to like what I say :)

Of course, I would have prefered it if you react to the facts I mentioned, rather than just dismiss my opinion, but that's up to you...

people keep talking about foobar, and i've tried using it many times and just can't seem to get into it

I hate every single winamp skin i ever tried, and i am now just using a classic skin both home and at work. At work, i am actully running Winamp 2.97

Only reason i don't use foobar is because i like the media library in winamp. I can tune into shoutcast, and browse my collection by artist, or album very easily. Also, i like the fact that it keeps track of how many times i played a song. That way i can look at the songs in my collection that i've not listened to as often and have nice variety.

If someone can tell me that foobar can do all that, i'll make the switch in a heartbeat.

So when the sender gets no reply whatsoever, it knows there is a computer trying to hide.

(Of course, one or two packets may get lost, but if the sender tries severals times to connect and doesn't get any response, it's obvious)

ehm, but if he doesn't get a respond, he thinks that either the computer isn't on or that IP isn't used.

He can't know someone is hiding except if he see the user in a p2p server,

in IM or something else that confirms that the IP is used and the computer is on.

Wrong.

If the IP is not used, or the computer offline, then the last router before that stop will send a 'host unreachable' message.

If neither that message nor a response to the package are sent, then the host is obviously trying to hide (but failed utterly, as his not responding_ was_ a kind of

negative response)

//edit @Ultima: Ok, I try to remember^^

@oxymoron: Don't quote the post directly above yours.

@PlayWithFire: I don't think foobar2000 can do a lot of the things you mentioned. Some might be possible through additional components, but I don't really do advanced things with foobar2000, so I don't really know. I just like it because it has a very simple interface that's intuitive and easy to understand. Also, it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb (I was always looking for a Windows XP theme for Winamp that didn't look odd, but there was never a really nice one).

• 2 weeks later...

I used Winamp classic to save on ram/cpu, so I'm just fine with plain old foobar2000. :P

I just changed the colors to be less ugly.

Took me a few hours to get the copy command and playlist to my liking though (stupid complicated thing!)

I still stand by foobar2000 being <3 the format support is surprisingly even better than winamp, which is just plain great.

AND IT DOESN'T HAVE MIKAMP

I don't use the media library in winamp or just about all the modern features. :P

I've got a bigass 8000 song playlist. It works with my media keys, and I've got a nice global search hotkey. It's all I need :D

• 1 month later...

Heh 1 month old thread... but anyway, I found another tiny application... a" tiny, TOC-based AIM client" -- miniaim. It's not too far off from µTorrent in some respects. Give it a whirl, but don't expect many of the features available in the official client, or even Trillian/GAIM/whatever, since it's using TOC, not Oscar.

Heh 1 month old thread... but anyway, I found another tiny application... a" tiny, TOC-based AIM client" -- miniaim. It's not too far off from µTorrent in some respects. Give it a whirl, but don't expect many of the features available in the official client, or even Trillian/GAIM/whatever, since it's using TOC, not Oscar.

I think miranda is better + it isn't just only aim, its all the popular IM protocols.

Check it out:

http://miranda-im.org/

Archived