Utorrent has inspired me

Pwnage

Yep took a while to get used to it and configuring it to your own preferences. I like the album view of the playlist, the album cover and the track info. Using kernel streaming and noise sharpening as well.

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/9786/foo5ni.th.jpg

what vs is that? requesting link! :)

lol, had to ask. I saw the titlebar, and it looks like one of those RARE "black" visual styles that are actually black and look nice..

also..

following the links in this thread, this thread mentioned a very interesting little app:

AV(T) Small CD-Writer

I've googled the name and came up with a russian site, downloaded the app, only to find that it's in russian.. :| (obvious question foreshadowed!)

is there an english version? (lol)

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those of you that wrote about foobar, Id like to inform you of a recent revalation, It is very poorly programmed, not only can it not handle opening sevral files at once correctly it destroys hard drives with read writes that seem like their there on purpose. Seriously I left it running one day for about an hour and it had accumulated around a million read writes to the hard drive, tryed the same with winamp and well guess what not far less. For those of you who wasted your time programming the Gui's i feel sorry.

It ravages your disk, the playback functionality is very very very poorly coded, maybee itll be fixed in the upcoming release. Give it a trial yourself, compare winamp and foobar with filemon from systernals in safe mode.

Blah until you can give solid proof, don't pass that as fact. Never seen any problems with foobar2000, and no one else (including all the geeks that use it =P) complain about such a problem. And I'm fairly sure Peter is a very competent coder.

You can test it for yourself, download filemon from systernals and give it a check. Im not the only one whos seen it either, its not really a bug just a bad coding exercise, compare the disk reads of foobar to that of winamp, just try it and youll see. Thats sold enough proof for anyone. It ravages your disk, and as I said in a previous post, I think that hes working on fixing the problem(Probably in the next release).

it only seems to do it with mp3/aac

in any case, it's not actually reading from disk, it's mostly reading from the system cache. (after all, the cache does prefetch, and it works perfectly for files read sequentially).

It's actually up to the plugin apparently, judging by how different plugins behave very differently (including some Winamp plugins I'm using; yes you can use 'em in foobar2000). Still, it's mostly reading from the system cache. So your point is moot.

Options -> Advanced Output

You'll notice all the reads are FASTIO_READ.

Cached data is read by a FASTIO_READ while non-cached data is a slower

IRP_MJ_READ. Whenever a file system driver returns a Fast I/O command

status of FALSE, the I/O Manager falls back on the IRP-based request path.

So stop making unsubstantiated claims without doing some research. It's making lots of calls, sure: to the system cache.

@Pwnage: There was no cause for worry in the first place... and where have you seen one of the foobar2000 coders acknowledging that this was a problem and saying it'll be fixed...? I've searched the foobar2000 forums, and haven't seen ANY mention of a bug remotely similar to this...

Like I said, all the reads (the read rate is specified by the plugins, not the program) are FASTIO_READ, which READ FROM THE SYSTEM CACHE. So there's not lots of reads from the disk, there's lot of reads from the system cache. End of story.

I just cant agree with anything saying winamp's internals are suprior to foobar cause its plain damn wrong. Better UI ? Maybe, if you like skins. Better Media Library? I would have agreed until 0.9's Autoplaylists and Database-like Media Library. But never better 'engine'. Foobar is suprior in all playback matters.

Why not? Obviously they arent from the disk reads, both players play music that sounds exactly the same, yet foobar accesses the hard drive far more than winamp. Its a good program, I give you that its a great program, it just has some kinks to work out.

I don't think anyone said foobar2000 uses Winamp plugins -- only that (1) Peter coded many of the Winamp plugins, and (2) you can use Winamp plugins in foobar2000, provided you install another plugin to interface between the two plugin systems. It's not a feature, but it's not a problem either, since it's reading off a cache, and not directly from the file itself.

Archived