Keyboard shortcuts for torrent actions

Jontiac

Hi.

Here's an easy to implement feature which would be great to see in uTorrent - shortcut keys.

I'm a VoIP user and a heavy uploader when it comes to uTorrent. When I get calls I have to often tell the person to hold a sec as I scramble for the pause button in the uTorrent interface. With all of the uploading I do the connection will cut out making it nearly impossible to talk.

My keyboard has special buttons which can be assigned special keys for specific programs. If only I can assign one of these buttons a pause shortcut that would be sent to uTorrent in the event of a phone call! I'd hate to have to switch Torrent programs to get this system into up and running.

Regards,

Jon

You really don't get it, ICleolion.

You're telling me your monitor is on during all of your awake hours (7AM - 12PM)?

The convenince I'm describing is really quite simple. I'm a dad. Picture it. I'm holding the baby, trying to calm him. We're watching watching a show on the couch. The phone rings. Am I going to turn on the monitor, wait for the picture to brighten, right click the menu, pick pause, then pick up the telephone? This is convenience to you?

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the support, Akaidiot. I hope this passes eventually. I can't stand it when my wife is on the phone (VOIP), as she always seems to be, and I get told to stop my uploading because she's having problems with our phone line. So I get all annoyed, turn on the TV (computer is now hooked up to our livingroom HDTV), wait for the screen to initialize, right click my taskbar icon, and voila! PAUSE ALL TORRENTS. Then I have to repeat the process a half an hour later when she's off the phone and RESUME ALL TORRENTS.

On my MAC, Azurus has an [OPT + , ] key combo to pause all torrents, but for some odd reason it is without a resume torrents key combo.

uTorrent team, please come to my rescue!

sounds like the problem has more to do with you using VOIP and trying to do too much with your connectivity...

If your VOIP service doesn't prioritize its own traffic ahead of other traffic being generated behind it (the rest of your connectivity), sounds like VOIP has a lot more maturing to do.

If you can't commit the resources necessary to participate in the torrent community, maybe it isn't right for you?

-- Smoovious

I'm hardly a rare case of an individual that is (a)home subscriber of an ISP service, be it cable or DSL, and (b)home subscriber of a VOIP phone line. I pay good money for a premium broadband connection, thus I am more than qualified to PARTICIPATE in this community. To question my participation because I or any other torrent user doesn't have a dedicated T1 seems fairly arrogant. I pay for a higher upload cap so that I can actually seed what those have shared before me. And thank you, but I'm bright enough to prioritize my own bandwidth by allotting the necessary bandwidth for VOIP communication. Latency and jitter is unavoidable under these conditions. FYI my broadband and VOIP services are under different companies. But good theory.

The bottom line is that this is a thread for feature requests and I simply asked for the implementation of two keyboard commands. Features in programs are not always meant to be tailored to 100% of its users. If something this simple can't even be recognized to benefit even 5% of its users with special circumstances than what's the point of progressing any software??

Archived