µTorrent Sidebar Gadget Beta

patrickbrans

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Just thought I'd let you know about a few minor bugs:

1) Clicking the uTorrent header in the flyout panel doesn't open the main webui (I was trying to implement this when I discovered that it was already implemented. Couldn't fix it though :( )

2) Usability: the setting WebUI URL should probably be renamed to Hostname - URL implies you need to enter the entire URL [http://mypc:8080/gui/], not just the hostname.

3) For those who tried to copy it to C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets, if you put it there then you can't change any settings since the rights for Program Files are read-only for non-elevated programs. The solution is to give everyone Full Control over C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets\uTorrent.dat (you'll need to copy it from C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets\uTorrent.dat).

Other than that, this an awesome program! Keep up the great work! :)

• 3 weeks later...

I have some sort of display glitch with this gadget.

http://xs230.xs.to/xs230/08322/utorrent_gadget_glitch849.jpg

I'm using the Japanese version of Vista Home Premium on an Acer Aspire 5520. Any ideas what could be causing it to cut off the bottom of the image like that? There are three torrents there, but I can only see and access two - makes life rather difficult.

• 2 weeks later...

After upgrading to the final release of utorrent 1.8 (previous version was 1.7.7) the drag-n-drop feature of this gadget no longer works..

ie, you drag a *.torrent file, you see the green tick appear in the gadget however the torrent never gets added to utorrent!

Reverting back to the previous version fixes the problem.

Anyone else seen this?

Guess we will have to wait for the author to provide a fix :)

• 1 month later...

I somehow managed to set up all that painfull settings. It was pleasure to watch it working for whole ONE day. After one day gadget stopped working. No matter how many times I reinstal it, instead of gadget I get this:

opa5qv.png

Can someone figure tis out and help me, please?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
To resolve the problem with windows 7:

1- close gadget

2- edit the file %userprofile%\appdata\local\microsoft\windows sidebar\gadgets\utorrent.gadget\skins\black\css\gadget.css

3- change all "overflow: hidden;" to "overflow: show;" and save

4- open gadget

Have fun.

I'm not sure what problem you're talking about, but it worked just fine for me.

• 2 months later...

First, Note that the below only applies to the beta version of the uTorrent gadget (the link to this is in the original post). The stable release does not seem to have this problem.

I've been seeing a problem for a while, where sometimes when I first open the torrents list flyout (by clicking on the 'uTorrent' titlebar on the gadget) the list of torrents appears to be stacked all weird. My understanding is that this only happens when there exists a torrent with a longer-than-average name. What the limit is I'm not sure (but my guess is something over 250 characters?). Here's a SS to demonstrate my problem:

2uhmt7m.jpg

So I decided to try and do something about it, based on the knowledge that the above posters gave me... It turns out that the magic of the gadget is all HTML, CSS and JavaSript - which I happen to know.

I added the following to the CSS file at:

%userprofile%\appdata\local\microsoft\windows sidebar\gadgets\utorrentV1.gadget\skins\black\css\flyout.css

to include (anywhere in the file you want, but I put mine at line 85):

div#flyoutTorrents span {white-space: nowrap; margin-left: 5px; width: 250px; overflow: hidden;}

Note: I happen to use the black theme, you'll need to edit the CSS file for the white theme instead if you use that. So change "black" to "white" in the path mentioned above.

Second, and this part is somewhat optional, but keeps things consistent, I removed the call to shorten the length of the torrent names from flyout.js. The CSS, added above, takes care of this truncation by CSS so the JS command to do it is no longer needed. So just edit the file at:

%userprofile%\appdata\local\microsoft\windows sidebar\gadgets\utorrentV1.gadget\js\flyout.js

Change line 162 (at the time of this post) from:

document.getElementById("flyoutTorrents"+int+"Name").innerHTML = "<span title=\""+System.Gadget.document.parentWindow.torrentsArray[int][2]+"\">"+shorten(System.Gadget.document.parentWindow.torrentsArray[int][2], 250)+"</span>";

to:

document.getElementById("flyoutTorrents"+int+"Name").innerHTML = "<span title=\""+System.Gadget.document.parentWindow.torrentsArray[int][2]+"\">"+System.Gadget.document.parentWindow.torrentsArray[int][2]+"</span>";

I hope this helps.

And thanks a lot to Patrick Bran for the awesome gadget :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

http://sites.google.com/site/ultimasites/files/utorrent-gadget.2009091910200319.gadget?attredirects=0

Edit (2010-02-20): Get the latest version here.

Decided to update this gadget to support token authentication (hope you don't mind, patrickbrans). With this, there is very little reason µTorrent should hold out on enabling webui.token_auth by default, as most of the major categories of WebUI projects now support token authentication (great!).

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hah, I saw your post before the edit, but haven't had time to log in and reply. I'm guessing it was a configuration issue more than anything? I had trouble setting the gadget up too when I was first testing/implementing token auth support. Honestly, I didn't find it very obvious/intuitive how to fill the login details out.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ultima, I'm using the build you posted and I always have to open the options and hit OK for it to work. This is with the gadget already open and initially starting µTorrent. Otherwise it's blank or says, "Error Check Settings". I was going to mention that initially in the post above, but at first I thought it wasn't working at all. Since it was, I didn't bother. It's not that big of a deal, but it is a slight annoyance. My username and password are very basic under 5 characters and all lowercase.

µTorrent 2.0 (Build 18097)

Windows 7 Ultimate x86

If µTorrent isn't already started started by the time the gadget tries to connect, then naturally, the it is going to complain -- it can't find µTorrent, after all. There isn't any way for it to get around that automatically other than to continuously (read: wastefully) poll the IP:port until it finds µTorrent, and then do its thing. As far as I can tell, this isn't something that happens only with the changes made to support token authentication; it's simply how the gadget works (and logically so).

Archived