µTorrent Sidebar Gadget Beta

patrickbrans

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have talked to the developer of the gadget and got the permission to go on developing as he does not have enough time to work on this thing.

So, I would like you to post here if you have any ideas, requests or if you find any bugs.

Thanks.

Setting refresh rate high becomes a problem since the ui refreshes itself only with that interval.

When you click start all, it shows its started after the timeout. I need to rewrite many things about that system when I have time.

There is no problem when you just use the gadget to see the speeds and information though, which is what I am doing.

I have just downloaded and installed the Sidebar Gadget.

When I try to create a new profile, I enter all the information:

(ProfileName, UserName, Password, 127.0.0.1, 53406, 1000, 5000)

but when I hit the Save button, nothing happens, the options dialog box just sits there.

Clicking the save button multiple times and restarting the PC has had no effect ;-)

I am using Windows 7 x64, the latest versions of uTorrent (2.02), WebUI (0.371) and the Sidebar Gadget (from the link above).

I can connect to the WebUI from my browser without any problems.

Any ideas on what I can try next?

Thank you in advance.

Seraphim

@LordSeraphim

I have checked the gadget but I could not find anything that may cause your problem. The gadget saves the settings to a seperate file (C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME_HERE\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets\uTorrent.dat). May be somehow you prevent the gadget from accessing your file system. I do not know if there is an option for that in W7. And it is the only cause I can think of at the moment. You may also try deleting the uTorrent.dat file.

@Quitch

It automatically replaces the invalid characters with "_" character as far as I know.

The connection problam you mentioned before may be about your firewall. Is there a chance that you denied the access of "sidebar.exe" for local connections? (local connections may be written as "trusted zone" in your firewall)

Both of the questions you are asking are about the settings manager, and that part of the gadget is taken from somewhere else. I don't think you will have any problems because of a miscoded content since it is some kind of public code for developers to use.

Hey, this gadget is great, but I'm having the same issue as some of the other users. When my laptop returns from standby, the gadget reads error. I hit the config button, then click OK, and it's back to good again. I've made the code change recommended, but no dice. I'm a developer, so let me know how else I can help out.

Is the gadget installed in another computer and the laptop which has utorrent running returns from standby?

Or is it the computer which has gadget installed returns from standby?

Or are they on the same computer?

Can you also post what is inside debug file openning it with a notepad? Debug files are located in a directory called Debug which is inside utorrent gadget directory. Post the content of the last 2 files. Make sure it doesn't have your username or anything in it, I don't know what can debug file include.

No Problem.

It's option 2, the computer which has gadget installed returns from standby. I can reproduce this on 3 seperate machines.

There's only one file in the debug dir, 'debug_1.dmp' and it contains:

{-Global debug-}

Gadget version: 0.9.1

{-End global debug-}

{-Usage-}

• 2 weeks later...

Someone please help me with this.

I just don't know what's wrong.

When I click "Create new profile" everything's fine and I enter all the data.

But when I click "Save" nothing happens. It doesn't react at all and doesn't

save anything. Has anyone else experienced this problem yet, too?

I hope someone can lead me to a solution to this. Or maybe someone could

at least tell me which file I'd have to edit to enter the data manually to get this

widget finally running.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Best would be to contact me via eMail: super.user@t-online.de

Big thanx in advance!

Tattva

@patrickbrans and @3o3,

Thanks for this really wonderful gadget. Since there are only two skins in this, I've added a grey skin to my gadget. Actually my whole desktop theme is grey and the gadget didn't really fit in with the color scheme.

You can add it to the gadget if you want. Its based on the silk icons.

Preview:

previewt.png

The first two lines in js/core.js (skins and skinNames arrays) have to be changed to add this skin

http://depositfiles.com/files/2v2imwu8f

• 2 months later...
@patrickbrans and @3o3,

Thanks for this really wonderful gadget. Since there are only two skins in this, I've added a grey skin to my gadget. Actually my whole desktop theme is grey and the gadget didn't really fit in with the color scheme.

You can add it to the gadget if you want. Its based on the silk icons.

Preview:

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/2128/previewt.png

The first two lines in js/core.js (skins and skinNames arrays) have to be changed to add this skin

http://depositfiles.com/files/2v2imwu8f

I'd like to see a black version of this as I like the buttons, font, title etc of this version better than the original but like that black background.

• 1 month later...
Also, are there limitations to what characters the app supports in the username and password fields?

In case it saves anyone else some frustration, I found out today that if your WebUI password (and I would assume user name?) contains certain special characters, your gadget will timeout and you will get the dreaded "Error Check Settings" message. In my case I had a # in my password. I am not sure all which special characters are not allowed.

While debugging the main.js to figure out what the problem was, I noticed I was getting a status of 12007 which is apparently a Windows error meaning it couldn't resolve the host. Apparently when the URL is constructed as http://user:pass@domain:port/gui/token.html if the user or pass contain special characters the XMLHttp object can't resolve the URL.

I actually ended up hacking the main.js to allow me to use my special character password instead of changing the password to alphanumeric characters. AFAIK this won't work unless you have IE 7+ on your PC:

I changed:

globalWebUrl = connection() + globalusername + ":" + globalpassword + "@" + globalurl + ":" + globalport + "/gui/";

to:

globalWebUrl = connection() + globalurl + ":" + globalport + "/gui/";

And also changed two instances of:

XMLHttp.open("GET", globalURL, true);

to:

XMLHttp.open("GET", globalURL, true, globalusername, globalpassword);

in main.js

I hope this info helps someone else who is banging their head against the wall with the "Error Check Settings" message.

Archived