UI Window stops updating after it is moved to secondary monitor

TomasF

Hi, I hope this issue hasn't been raised before, I searched but didn't find any relevant posts.

This occured fairly recently, with the 1.20 update I think. When I open up uTorrent and the torrents kick in doing their thing, everything's fine. But as soon as I move the window over to my secondary monitor, all the information in the window stops updating... the system tray icon tooltip still updates, and I can see the traffic is there using a nic grapher, so everything's running fine. But the window won't update anymore, even if I move it back to the primary monitor.

I started using uTorrent about a week ago (amazing app by the way), and at the time this wasn't an issue, so it's been introduced in a very recent update.

Thanks,

TomasF

• 2 weeks later...
Can you give us your system specs? Also, try updating to the latest Forceware/Catalyst drivers to see if the problem still persists.

It's a ATI 9700 Pro card with a 17" LCD on the analog connector and a 20.1" on the DVI connector, mounted on a Asus P4C800 (i875P based) motherboard. My catalyst drivers are reasonably new and I'm reluctant to upgrade to the latest because everything else is working just now and new drivers sometimes cause more havoc than they solve. I have A LOT of software installed, and the only one that exhibits this behaviour is uTorrent - and even there it wasn't like that until after a update. Using Photoshop CS2 or Dreamweaver 8 works great, and I can move just the tool panels, or the entire window, between screens.

Softwarewise it's a fully patched Windows XP SP2 with Catalyst 5.08. I also have UltraMon running for better multimonitor support, but I've tried removing it and there's no change.

You still need to install the latest graphics card driver in order to rule out any problems with it. Once that has been done you can point your finger at µTorrent... :/

Oh, I can point the finger at uTorrent just fine already :) If the behaviour had been like this from the start, or had changed as a result of a driver update and not a uTorrent update, I'd grant you the likelyhood of the driver being the culprit. If one doesn't want to look into it, that's fine with me... I'll just write it down to yet another uTorrent quirk. It's simply a matter of keeping it on the primary monitor. Thanks anyway :D

Why don't you just try the latest drivers anyway? If you don't like them you can always go downgrade. At the very least, it'd help us confirm if it's your drivers or the card (likely the first, since no one else can reproduce your problem)

We'll, since I was doing some partitioning changes and needed some reboots anyway, I decided to humour you and install the 5.11 driver. As expected it caused lots of changes but after 35 minutes of cleaning up I guess things are looking normal again. Except ultra-slow transition effects in Windows, but I'll hunt that down in ati-related forums.

Oh, and uTorrent still behaves the same...

I'm running a softmodded Radeon 9500 and do not see this problem. Opening a torrent, allowing to start a few percent, and then dragging to my secondary shows no issues whatsoever.

Radeon 9500@9700 (W1zzard's softmodded catalyst 5.9)

Primary display driven through DVI, secondary though VGA

Windows XP SP2 (not recently patched though)

Athlon XP1800

KT266a chipset

JigPu

Archived