.torrent files deleted after weeks of successful seeding

lexein

I have two torrent files(different trackers) seeding the same media file, to save disk space. After weeks of correct seeding, today both torrent files disappeared, and uTorrent showed: "Error: can't find [torrent file]".

1. Is it a bad idea to have two different torrents pointing to the same media file?

2. I want to seed for as many trackers as possible, for any torrent addressing this size file (697.28 MB) but don't want to waste disk space. Am I doing it wrong?

3. Paranoia: is there a uTorrent vulnerability allowing remote deletion of torrents? (These were the only two deleted out of dozens.)

Thanks

Why you don't redownload your torrents then? Have you checked if they are still left in your %appdata%/utorrent directory (type in run) ??

1. No, not if they are exactly the same. (produces the same hash)

2. If the torrents are not exactly the same there is no way you can't double seed. This is a limitation of the bittorrent protocol. But there is a new suggestion to tackle this problem called SET, although it seem to to have some problems. Notice that even if the torrents LOOK the same they necessarily don't produce the same hash.

3. Probably not. (as long u don't have ur webui enabled) Sure that you didn't delete the .torrent files by mistake on your hdd?

I did indeed re-download the torrents. The two point to different trackers, and now point to the same media file(described below). They have different hashes, and different block sizes and counts, and they both "force recheck" successfully. I get upload activity on one or the other, but I've never noticed simultaneous activity.

Set up: Torrents both dl'd, unstarted. I move the (already completed) file to \incomplete, force a recheck on the first torrent which moves it to \complete. I move the file to \incomplete again, force a recheck on the 2nd torrent, which moves it to \complete. Then I start both torrents and away they go.

So, in your #2: "If the torrents are not exactly the same there is no way you can't double seed." - so my approach is doomed?

3. I'm absolutely sure I never touched the \torrents folder itself. Paranoia: I might be rooted, but nothing I've tried has revealed it yet. Oh, well.

With hash I mean filehash as in md5/sfv hash not the torrent info-hash. So as long the files the same it should be ok. AFIAK The problem is that utorrent can't tell which stats that belongs to respective tracker. This results in the same stats sends to both trackers and you would be cheating.

Read more here:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=9577

Archived