Seeders who don't seed.

onetiger

I've spent weeks downloading an old and rare twelve part series of full length films in VOB format. It's been a nightmare with seeders only showing up once in a blue moon, but I've just about finished now. I've seeded finished films back whenever I could, despite throttlings and warnings from my ISP about their fair usage policy.

The only 3 seeders in the last couple of days have sat there with their 100%, flagged as DS, dS and d, not uploading a thing to me, although I was uploading stuff a lot faster than I was downloading. Two of these seeders are with uTorrent/1600.

An Azureus/2504 seeder has entered the scene today and my downloads are going like mad now. I wish I could thank this guy - God bless him.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm beginning to believe many if not all P2P apps are designed with the assumption that everyone has a high speed connection working under optimum conditions. I'm looking at a 4 GB torrent which has been running for a week now, connected to 1 seed and 8 peers. To date I have downloaded 976 MB and have 95 pieces (4MB each) accumulated in queue. If I am correct, utorrent does not share incomplete pieces, and as it appears everyone has the 684 MB I have consisting of complete pieces I have little to share. Based on my average DL speed it looks like it will take 68 hours to complete these pieces assuming no other pieces become queued in the meantime. I would expand on all the problems that frequently arise from this situation, but instead would like to know if anyone knows of an app that is friendly to those of us who lack perfect internet connections and conditions? Nearly every piece I have queued shows an availability of 3 to 6, and the many pieces I have that lack only 2 to 10 blocks of completing show an availability of 4 or 5.

my suggestion, next time before you even Bother to download something

Check the "Availability"

if it is less than 1.00 don't bother it will take you years... to get the whole thing.

if the torrent is less than 250 Mb then you might want to give it a try

if the torrent is a DVD size and it is not 1.00 availability chances of finishing the download is marginal to none

• 1 month later...

Seeding is continuing to upload the torrent to other people when you already have ALL the file/s the torrent contains yourself.

Just because a seeder or a peer is connected to you while you're downloading a torrent does NOT mean they will upload to you. They may be allowing 100+ connections per torrent but only 1 upload slot per torrent, so they will only be uploading to a specific ip that they're connected to at most 1% of the time.

Archived