utorrent runs dry

hadmatter

I'm not sure what exactly is going wrong with my utorrent. All I know is anytime I come back to it after a few hours or so, all queued tasks have been made active and none are actually downloading. I'm connected to the internet through a cable modem and my speed guide connection type is set to xx/384k so that I should only have 2 active downloads at any given time. Yet, like I said, at some point they always all become active. I'd see this occasionally happen with BitComet when tasks dipped below a preset download speed, but I can't find any such setting in utorrent. Anybody run in to this problem or have any idea what's going wrong here?

µT also activates queued torrents if the ones already running don't have any data to transfer. So your reported behaviour itself is is normal up to that point.

But ff you don't see any downloading on them after all, have you checked if your ISP blocks BT transfers?

How's µT doing with the "legal test" torrents?

Doh! Forum...yeah...right. I sometimes have a habit of overlooking the obvious. LOL

Like I'm probably going to be doing again now. I downloaded OpenOffice. It only took a couple of minutes; the torrent reaching speeds of over 400 kB/s. I'm just not sure what I was suppose to learn from that. It's not that I've never been able to download anything with uTorrent; it's that after awhile it just stops - both downloading and uploading. It takes a few hours before this happens and before that it seems to work perfectly. Like I said, at some point, though, I'll check on it, all queued tasks will have become active, but nothing will actually be DLing or ULing. I'm certain that these torrents still have active seeders and leechers and if I shutdown and restart uTorrent all will be well again. I even tried downloading only one torrent thinking perhaps the problem was due to so many torrents becoming active for whatever reason. The same thing happens with a single torrent - downloads for awhile then nothing. Any clues on where to go from here?

setup µT with forced encryption. maybe your ISP does selective torrent throttleing and that's why you don't download/upload even though there are seeders/leechers that (you) would want pieces from (you).

Edit: of course if it only happends after a few hours that your line looks like clogged, maybe your internet hardware is to crappy to handle the connections.

give disableing the DHT network a try.

Well, I turned off the DHT and so far it seems to have worked. Last night I left uTorrent running and woke up to it still "chomping at the bits" this morning. Thanks mysterious utorrent-Guest guy!

I just wanna follow up on something. When you say: "maybe your internet hardware is to crappy to handle the connections" I assume that means my cable modem? I'm using the modem Time Warner gave me when I started Road Runner services YEARS ago. Is it worth it to trade it back in for something perhaps a bit newer? or maybe buy a nice one on my own? Oddly enough, (especially considering it's function) I've never really thought about this modem affecting my online traffic before.

Sorry, I don't know enough about cable modems to give you a usefull answer regarding a buying decission. :(

the "problem" with DHT is -as far as I understand it- that it involves a great number of connection information. And if the network hardware isn't equipped for example with sufficient RAM/programming to handle all those NAT entries it will choke on it.

(But as I said, I'm no expert regarding that, you might want to ask a networkdevice guru why this is so) :)

In Advanced settings in µTorrent, there is 2 settings that tell µTorrent to not count slow downloading and uploading torrents against the max limit...so more get started if they're all slow.

We need to know exactly what settings you're using in µTorrent, both those shown on the Speed Guide (CTRL+G) window and ANY advanced settings you've changed from default.

Also, what is the reported and/or measured bandwidth of your connection, both down and up?

Usually, people try to use their download bandwidth max to set Speed Guide...when that is asking for upload bandwidth...that is often a tiny fraction of the download!

Archived