uTorrent's speed limiter is buggy

Hitnrun

Hello!

Forced by the tracker I use the most, I changed from BitComet to uTorrent.

But, from what I can see, uTorrent's upload limiter does not work correctly.

I have limited my upload at 8kb/s (out of my 15kb/s maximum).

Using DUMeter to view the bandwidth, I see that uTorrent lets the upload to be more than 8, like this pattern: 5-8-10-13-1-4-9-14-2-etc. It goes beyond the 8kb/s I set, and when it gets near the 15kb/s limit, the download and upload get a sudden "jump" to almost zero. My DUMeter graph shows a let of "moutains", about every 4 seconds, and my download speed, of a maximum of 100kb/s, never gets past 25kb/s.

When I used Bitcomet, the graph was perfect, I set 8kb/s, DUMeter showed a straigth line of upload, all at 8kb/s, so I know it is possible.

Can't be my conection's problem, as as soon as I switch back to Bitcomet, it gets back to normal.

Did someone also have this problem?

PS.: I'm not trying to bash uTorrent in favor of Bitcomet, I like the low profile of uTorrent, just don't want to waste my fast connection!

Then list all the settings as currently set as shown by the Speed Guide window.

There is a remote possibility that your choice from the drop-down window didn't "take", and we can only verify that by the full list of the settings.

ADSL 1024 down/128 up kbits/s

upload limit: 8

conenctions per torrent: 50

max active torrents: 8

upload slots: 4

connections (global): 50

max active downloads: 4

if I select the xx/128 option on the combo box, then it sets "max active torrents" and "max active downloads" to 1, but I seed a lot of torrents, I need to leave at least 8 files seeding, this is what I was doing with bitcomet, 8 uploading and 4 downloading.

But your settings means you're splitting your 8 KiloBYTES/sec upload speed between 8 torrents that each have potentially 4 upload slots each. That's 1/4 KiloBYTE/sec uploading to a peer at a time. BitTorrent doesn't work smoothly when running so slowly because even the smallest packets have to have routing information and other BitTorrent-related overheads.

if I select the xx/128 option on the combo box, then it sets "max active torrents" and "max active downloads" to 1, but I seed a lot of torrents, I need to leave at least 8 files seeding, this is what I was doing with bitcomet, 8 uploading and 4 downloading

If you realy wants to seed more torrents, then setting 4 max active torrents BUT with upload slots set to 1 should be still acceptable.

If you try what kurahashi said (setting upload slots to only 1), then you'll want to check "use additional upload slots if upload speed <90%" to prevent tying up the 1 active upload slot on each torrent with a very slow downloading peer.

The advanced settings to open additional active torrents if upload speed AND download speed on a torrent are low (<1 KiloBYTE/sec) may also cause more torrents to start than you allowed...but this may be DESIRED behavior! :D This can cause queued torrents to start if the already-started torrents don't have any peers on them for you to upload to.

You could also use Scheduler in conjunction with normal upload speed and alternate upload speed while not downloading (while only seeding) to automatically maximize your total upload amount per day while minimizing/eliminating any web surfing slowdowns. You could allow the best sustainable upload speed during hours you're typically not at the computer this way.

Archived