Slipstream 4200

Fred Allen

I am new to DSL and Utorrent so this is a beginner question. I am running a new Siemens Slipstream 4200 modem to connet to my DSL. The connection is fine for anything but bit torrents then nothing. I have the modem running through a Linksys 5 port switch if that could be the problem. I just looked on Google and I guess the Linksys does not have a firewall. I have turned off my firewall for Windows XP Pro 2. I have tried to set the modem to use port 55641 and it seems to work with one of the port checkers on the internet. I have tried lots of different settings with no joy....a lot of attempts were made before posting this message.

Is anyone running this modem with success with Utorrent? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Fred

Does your ISP give you multiple internet ips?

When using a switch behind your modem, EACH computer that you want internet access on must have its own unique internet ip address.

A router can share a single intenet ip address by giving each computer a LAN ip as well and routing incoming/outgoing packets appropriately, but a switch is more a "dumb" circuit.

(A Hub is even worse, it broadcasts everything to everyone...so 1 computer could use up 90+% of all the network's bandwidth just transferring files to another computer.)

Archived