Ratio Display Glitch...

t1470258

I'm using µTorrent v1.6.1 and this glitch persists from earlier versions...

Here's what happened; I found 4gb torrent of the same content yet different packages (chunk size, etc.) from various sites. I downloaded it from the most active one (a) & decided to seed within the least seeded one (b). Because of chunk size difference & change in included minor files, it has to redownload 2mb of 4gb from (b). And here's the glitch...

It shows hundreds of ratio based on 800mb-upload/2mb-download/4gb-seeded. And it's increasing as I'm seeding more. One may say 'of course it should be due to 800/2' but this isn't the case if you only add a new seed where ratio begins from 0. But due to previous logic that ratio should be 800/0=∞. Of course the later example is unlogical yet the earlier one which tries to reach infinity is accepted OK by µTorrent.

In summary:

if it was download: up=800mb down=4000mb seed=4000mb ratio=800/4000=0.2

if it was new seed: up=800mb down= 0mb seed=4000mb ratio=800/4000=0.2

in this situation : up=800mb down= 2mb seed=4000mb ratio=800/2 =400

One may also say 'why not delete+reopen the same torrent so that the ratio fixes'. Although this is a valid workaround, it doesn't justify this glitch... In a case like this, I suggest ratio should be calculated with the math uploaded/(downloaded+availableseedsize)=ratio in cases where download<>seed which results 800/(2+4000)~=0.2. The result is totally acceptable compared to ever increasing ratio of 800/2=400.

Thanks... ;)

How is this a glitch? If you downloaded a certain amount, and you uploaded a certain amount, then your ratio is your upload:download. In the case of torrents that start of seeding, µTorrent measures the ratio based on upload:(total size of torrent), which is basically a measure of how many times you shared the torrent (sorta). It makes sense, and no one wants to see infinite ratio, as it makes no sense.

I already know what you explained and presented those knowledge all in the summary. But thanks for explaining again...

It's not a software glitch since µTorrent calculates exactly what it's been programmed to. But I see this as choice glitch. Since you already said for seeding:

It makes sense, and no one wants to see infinite ratio, as it makes no sense.

A logical choice has been made with seeding. Then please explain why someone who have done something similar to what I've done (redownload fraction of a seed) has to see a nonsense increasing ratio of 400. Another logical choice can be made here too. I already delete-readd the torrent to see a sense ratio yet I presented this for those who may experienced the same situation to give an insight of 'what's going on?'.

I know this is not something important in the evolution of µTorrent, but math of

uploaded/(downloaded+availableseedsize)=ratio in cases where download<>seed

can really remedy the situation even it's not a glitch ;)...

Huh? In cases where the downloaded isn't equal to the total size? So are you saying that when you're downloading a shiny new 100MB torrent, you downloaded 50MB, and uploaded 100MB (stuck swarm or whatever), the ratio gets calculated as 100/150, or 0.66 when obviously, the ratio should be 100/50, or 2.0? Sure, everyone would like to see a sensible ratio, but evidently, your proposal is far from that.

IMHO, µTorrent is being perfectly reasonable in what it displays. If, overall, you downloaded 2MB, and you uploaded 800MB, then whatever the situation is, your upload:download ratio is 400 -- simple enough. As long as you downloaded *something*, µTorrent shouldn't be playing guessing games when it comes to which method it should use to calculate the ratio.

OK, I withdraw my question because obviously we can't go anywhere from here...

µTorrent shouldn't be playing guessing games when it comes to which method it should use to calculate the ratio.

But it already does to differentiate a seed from a download.

Huh? In cases where the downloaded isn't equal to the total size?

is what you understood, whereas I said:

download <>(not equal to) seed

What I meant is, "seeded" is not necessarily equal to "total size". In a new download, downloaded=seeded where both initially below the total size. Because you simply can't seed what you don't have as 'total size'. So current math applies perfectly. I added "download<>seed" with an 'edit' to distinguish it's neither pure seed nor pure download. Any other working/distinctive formula would do the trick.

All I wanted to point out is that µTorrent considers only 2 options; new download and new seed. In between is a gray area. Since there's a workaround, I don't bother either.

I know µTorrent isn't a democracy, but as a µTorrent lover, I wanted to help it to get better by saying my opinion in the forum. Since there're more to think the current system is good, who am I to say otherwise? :cool:

is what you understood, whereas I said:

Fine, then explain more clearly what you mean by "seed," as mixing terms up will not get your point across any more clearly. A seed is a person who has 100% of the data and is actively uploading. Following directly from my explanation of exactly what the correct definition of "seed" is -- that you have 100% of the data -- the "seed" in "download<>seed" and "availableseedsize" (along with "new seed") obviously mean something different to you than it does to me.

I'm absolutely sorry and please accept my apologies for mixing things up. :(

I definitely accept what you said about seed being %100 and I should have the used the term uploaded instead of seeded. In short:

availableseedsize = predownloaded

seeded = sometimes seed %100 & sometimes uploaded (I'm sorry for that)

Please don't stuck with the formula and please forget all I said about it. I admit it's condition is faulty yet I wanted to present a valid conditional for this situation to differentiate it from both 'new download' and 'new seed'. It can be found by this too:

condition 1) You add a new torrent to µTorrent and you don't manually 'force re-check' the torrent. Then µTorrent starts from %0 and accepts it as 'new download'. Ratio=Uploaded/Downloaded, which is already there

condition 2) You add a new torrent to µTorrent and you manually 'force re-check' the torrent. If µTorrent find it to be %100 then it's a 'new seed'. Ratio=Uploaded/Seed, (seed=total size=%100) which is already there too.

condition 3) You add a new torrent to µTorrent and you manually 'force re-check' the torrent. If µTorrent find it to be less than %100 (it's 1 conditional with no guessing) then this is neither a 'new download' (%0) nor a 'new seed' (%100). If it's %90 then it's closer to 'new seed' where it's always accepted as a 'new download'. This is something in between where a new math (you name it) can be applied to give a reasonable ratio display. My suggestion is Ratio=Uploaded/(PostDownloaded+PreDownloaded)...

I think this time I describe/clarify the 'gray' area better. Despite the fact I believe this is something to be improved, as I said in my previous reply, if there're more to think the current system is good, it's not up to me to say the otherwise... ;)

P.S: Sorry about 'Edit's but it gets harder to track as the thread gets bigger...

Archived