pls add the option to stop seeding after there're x ammount of seeders

TRaSH

Ok. How is this feature not thinking about others? It helps ppl create and upload more torrents efficiently. And allows other to share in the bandwidth, as NiteShdw said.

Like I and some have said, Its a nice feature for ppl who create and upload torrents on a regular basis. <--(Isnt this thinkng about others who want more torrents to download?)

Another ex., After u finish downloading a torrent and ur ratio is at least 1:1, U stop seeding on a torrent that has 35 seeders and start seeding on one that has 4 or less seeders. I see in no way how this is thinking about just urself.

• 2 weeks later...

That feature does not sound right because the CAUSE of the problem is people not seeding till they have at least a 1:1 ratio.

You need to understand that both rules have their drawbacks. Seeding until a 1:1 ratio will mean that you don't give priority to torrents which need it. However, stopping seeding when there are over x seeders would also lose a lot of potential seeders.

I agree with lostinlodos that the solution is a forced seeding mode, which can restart torrents (with low number of seeders) that have already met their seeding criteria. However, it should not involve stopping torrents just because they have over x amount of seeders, but rather just prioritise bandwidth to the torrents which need it.

I don't think people have to seed a certain torrent to 1:1, if there are other torrents that require the bandwidth more.

However, it should not involve stopping torrents just because they have over x amount of seeders, but rather just prioritise bandwidth to the torrents which need it.

I don't see a clear difference, regarding this thread, between stopping/pausing and restricting the upload bandwidth to e.g. 1/kbs.

Lets think this example:

There are 2 torrents running and you are seeding both;

no1 has 20 seeders and your shareratio is 0.5

no2 has 2 seeders and your shareratio is 2

So, even though your shareratio is less than 1 in torrent no1, it would better for the whole community if you seeded only no2.

So how about auto restart seeding when the available seeders drop below x ? Perhaps this could be done using Pause instead of Stop (Is the peers updated when a torrent is in paused mode ?)

The scrape feature updates the number of seeds and peers at least when torrent is paused.. I'm not sure about stopped torrent, but it should be easy to implement.

The thing about a "Force seeding if <X seeds" setting is that it's essentially the same as this request. There is one minor difference I see though...

The requested feature (only replace "stop" with "queue") causes a needy torrent to gain the full bandwidth of an upload slot. Once a torrent's seed ratio has been reached, if there is a torrent with fewer seeds it should be queued to make way for the needy torrent. The result to the swarms are: the small torrent gains a seed, the large torrent looses a seed.

Something which would force a seed with <X peers to begin seeding would have nearly the same effect, only all torrents would loose a portion of upload bandwidth. For example, on my connection I have a 30K upload limit spread among 3 torrents with 3 upload slots/torrent. Under normal conditions, each unchoked peer should recieve approximatly 3.3KB/sec from me. When a needy seed is sensed and started, it takes up another 3 upload slots, dropping each peer to 2.5KB/sec. If there is only one or two torrents that will be forced to start the effect is probably good, if there are more though (I have 7 torrents with <5 seeds) it could choke bandwidth so much that you'd be as good as not seeding ANY torrent.

EDIT: That wasn't quite as clear as I intended... Basically I meant this:

Queue torrents with many seeds

Helps - Small torrents

Hurts - Large torrents if there are small torrents (otherwise they should be automatically dequeued as any torrent is right now)

Force torrents with few seeds to start

Helps - Everybody if there are only a few small torrents

Hurts - Everybody if there are a lot of small torrents

JigPu

• 3 weeks later...

This feature is not important to me, but I definitely don't see it as a "leech feature" as other people have put it. It's really only useful to original uploaders who are far from leeches.

Also, many people have mentioned (including myself) that the feature should resume the torrent should the number of seeders fall below a certain amount, so the argument about "everybody using µT with the same rules and creating 0 seeders" is invalid in that regard too.

• 3 weeks later...

Thumbs up on this from me, for what it's worth. As someone who uploads fresh torrents regularly, uTorrent currently gives me 2 choices: force start, or set the upload ratio on that torrent to something rediculous like 250% to insure that it doesn't shut down before anyone finishes downloading it. The first upload I did with uTorrent, I did a standard start without thinking about it... it shut down after seeding to 110%, leaving the highest peer at 58%. Not good. :)

but if u are downloading a torrent with more than lets say 10seeders then it would stop inmidiately after u finished downloading, the way utorrent use autostop is just a leecher-proof autostop... which is good

that is basically the problem, leechers hurt us all :/

well... perhaps adding the option so it would activate for torrents only after the "autostop after ratio" is concluded...

but wouldnt help at all for ur problem huh? XD

edited*

• 4 weeks later...

hey, how about a compromise?

Create the option to start seeding if < x seeds if and only if you enable the option (set value to true, but default is false) and the value set for the number of seeds > 0 (default), placing these options in the 'advanced' options tab would make it available for those who know what they are doing and not as easily set/changed, plus you can always reset to the default values with just a click.

Another idea: Create a new priority called AVAIL.

When a torrent is in the AVAIL class, the torrent will only seed if available upstream bandwith is greater than some set percentage (25% default, value which could be modified from the advanced options tab) once the torrent is started, it will stay seeding for at least 30 minutes (again a value that could be changed by an option in the advanced options tab).

Plus, even though then new priority class idea is scrapped, there should be an option to change the priority of a torrent after a seeding goal is reached, if you have a high priority download, when the seeding target is reached, the torrent will stay active but at a lower priority.

but if u are downloading a torrent with more than lets say 10seeders then it would stop inmidiately after u finished downloading, the way utorrent use autostop is just a leecher-proof autostop... which is good

that is basically the problem, leechers hurt us all :/

well... perhaps adding the option so it would activate for torrents only after the "autostop after ratio" is concluded...

but wouldnt help at all for ur problem huh? XD

edited*

I put my vote (as mentioned on other post somewhere before) not an autostop but rather an autostart seed if seeder count in the swarm is less then x (With a locally limited seeding count it would actually mean autoqueue-autopause feature).

Also this could easily lead to the (also requested and more advance) autostart seed if seeders/leechers ratio is less then y, like ex. a default to 0.5, even if your shared ratio is reached for that torrent.

EDIT: Oh yes, and this would (i think) also fix the leecher helping theory above, cause it won't stop anything, at worse it would put torrent with a bad shareratio on lower priority (or to queue), which is better for the swarm.

EDIT2:

I don't think people have to seed a certain torrent to 1:1, if there are other torrents that require the bandwidth more.

Now this is a good point. :cool:

• 3 weeks later...
So how about auto restart seeding when the available seeders drop below x ? Perhaps this could be done using Pause instead of Stop (Is the peers updated when a torrent is in paused mode ?)

That i would really like.....

Doesn't "scraping" keep the client up to date on the seed/peer count? Pausing, then having it monitor that (force scraping on required if this option used) to either seed or not seed?

paused means u wont send or recieve anything, now most (if not all) of the bitorrent clients, disconnect the peers they dont get any "movement" in a time, in utorrent this time is 5 minutes, so they disconnect you and then the peers can keep being updated but u will get disconnected anyway so it wont be good that way

• 4 months later...

Some people really make up difficult constructions. How about this:

- maintain all current settings (like seed till ratio is ... or seeding time is)

- add an additional final judgement for stopping seeding:

[ ] Continue seeding if [ x ] or less seeders are left.

Basically, when you enable the checkbox I indicated on the [ ] (left), and you set the value for x in a field to 0, it will just continue seeding when you are done and you would be the last leecher that completed the download. So the right 'decision order' that is used in my example is:

1. seed until ratio (or desired seeding time) is reached

2. if ratio is reached, but no other seeders are left: continue seeding

This way the torrent never dries out.

This feature is quite important, since some sites require you to never stop seeding until there is another seeder when you are the last one who completed the torrent.

• 3 months later...

I too would like an option on seeding regarding number of seeds or availability. I contribute multi-GB content to the P2P community, I upload using Inital-Seeding and once there's a good distribution of seeds, I move to something else. With a 60KB/sec upload rate, I cannot permit myself to continously seed dozens of 9GB torrents simultaneously.

Usually I stop the torrents and every week or so I start them again to make sure that there is still a decent amount of seeds, if not I re-seed. The seed until x time or seed until x ratio is completely useless, double-so when I continue seeding the same torrent a week later.

Perhaps the "Seed while Seeds less then x" option could be only enabled in conjuction with the Initial-Seeding option, therefore negating the risk of all the seeds stopping simultaneously since in theory only the original seeder would use the Initial-Seeding option.

Archived