Will uTorrent Run on a 386? Insane curiosity

SaidinUnleashed

I'm thinking about digging out my old, old 386 box (40MHz/8mb ram), installing Windows 95 on it, and seeing if utorrent will run on it, just for kicks and giggles.

My question is, has anyone tried this before, if so, did it work?

Just doing this to satisfy my own curiosity, but if someone has already done it, and it didn't work, I don't care to spend an eternity installing Windows 95.

Thanks.

-SU

(Hah my edit was just regarding that too. Moved to this post instead, I guess :P)

1.7's hash checking was changed to make use of the FPU on a CPU to improve the hashing speed, and since the FPU was (AFAIK) introduced on the 486 line of processors, it may run into problems on 386s. The reliance on the FPU might not have only been introduced in 1.7 either, and may explain the crash in 1.6 (though that's speculation at best).

There are supported FPUs for every Intel processor from the 8080 up. The 486DX just started including the FPU on-die, where before it was a separate socketed chip on the motherboard. I remember the huge performance gain the math coprossor gave for playing Elite on my old IBM PC... Wish I'd not traded that off.

Anyway, I'll see if I can scrounge up a 40mhz coprocessor for my 386dx (a 40mhz 387dx), or a 16mhz one for my 386sx (a 16mhz 387sx) on ebay, or something. If someone has one they might be willing to donate, or let go of for a small price, PM me or something.

-SU

Edit: lawl muh speelnig be gud.

Archived