1.2 doesn't exit

rom

I ran 1.2 for the first time and noticed poor speed, so I wanted to close it and try another program. So, I closed the window, uTorrent asked me if I really wanted to exit, I confirmed, the window closed, but uTorrent's process remained running. And I couldn't kill it by Task Manager or SysInternals Process Explorer. On consequent runs, I was able to close it with less problems (but the process remained running too long after the window closed).

I see. It makes sense. I guess the latter is the most time consuming.

The bug then is that UI should reflect what the program is doing. It shouldn't close until the process is ready to terminate. At the very least, it should list items you listed and say that it may take several minutes. An additional improvement would be to show some kind progress information.

I will not reinstall Windows every time a new program demonstrates a problem. I only installed Windows (XP Pro SP2) last May. And I had only one torrent in the list.

Since the problem has been only with uTorrent, I suggest that the developer pay attention to this.

I understand, Firon. I will pay attention to this in the future. But probably the next time I will try uTorrent will be when it implements NAT traversing. I am connected to the Internet via a router, and I suspect that lack of this feature was the reason for very low speed.

No, I am not as I live in a place where I don't have access to the router. And since the other BT client I am using seems to be able to handle things by itself, why would I want to configure the router even if I could? Also, this other client seems to be friendlier to my hard drive (it uses some caching mechanism) than uTorrent was (based on noise coming from the drive). By the way, I think that this explains why uTorrent uses less memory -- it probably writes to disk more often, and the other client caches more in RAM. I prefer the latter. Or maybe uTorrent can also be configured to cache more.

It can be. Under Advanced Options, set diskio.write_queue_size to some large number, like... 32768 (which is 32MB). The default is -1, which allows µTorrent to automatically set a cache size for you.

Your other client probably had NAT traversal, which allows it to get through the router without you having to manually setting a port (or something like that).

I just thought of bringing this up again, since utorrent.exe was left open for 15 minutes after I closed it.

I made some screenshots in ProcessExplorer that I have no idea whatsoever if they are useful.

Threads:

threads.png

!CreateThread+0x38 Stack:

stack1.png

ntdll.dll!RtlConvertUiListToApiList+0x276 Stack:

stack2.png

Archived