dht wasting bandwidth when disabled

ScubaSteve

seeing as my other topic got locked for no reason in troubleshooting ive decided to post it over in here as a bug. as i said in the troubleshooting ive been seeding 2 torents both with dht disabled because of the private flag yet im still having between around 1-3kB/s of bandwidth used for absoluetely no reason at all. it has never happened on any other client ive used that has dht, i know that the dht is still new and may need some adjustments as it was reverde enginnered so i thought id bring this to ur attention.

yes i have tried that and it drops down to about 0.5kB/s up/down but thats not the point im trying to make. if im seeding torrents that have dht disabled in them because of the private flag then i dont want to have the dht wasting my bandwidth and i dont want to have to disable it in the options. i never had this problem with azureus, maybe thats because of how its dht works.

There's always going to be continuous uploading/downloading of data when you have DHT enabled, since when you connect to the network, you're sorta 'agreeing' to pass data around -- the only way to get the data is to download it from other clients, and the only way to get it to other clients is to upload. I was thinking the same thing as what Firon said too (that Azureus just doesn't show it in the interface).

just ran azureus all day and monitored its bandwidth usage compared to µTorrents to test this theory about dht always using that much bandwidth. i used both torrents with private flag on and off. µTorrent stayed between a steady 0.7-3.1kB/s on upload and 0.4-1.9kB/s download. Azureus on the other hand stayed down at 0.3-0.5 upload and 0.2-0.3 download. as i stated earlier µTorrent is using alot of bandwidth considering its not doing much, either this is normal behaviour for mainline dht ( in which case its pretty unacceptable) or the dht thats been implemented so far needs a fair bit of improvement.

double click on the user count in Azureus and go to the DHT tab, you can see DHT's bandwidth usage there...

Also, go to µTorrent's logger, and click "Dump DHT Tracked"

how many torrents are you tracking? mine says 235 and it's using .3-.5kb/s upload, and .2kb/s download. I've had it as high as 500+ before, and the bandwidth use was a bit higher

Go ahead and do dump DHT buckets too, at the bottom you can see the bandwidth use and packets, copy paste those last two lines here.

[17:29:07] Recieved: 29535 requests (3142766 bytes), 2491 replies (753731 bytes), 962 invalid (151462 bytes)

[17:29:07] Sent: 5477 requests (531986 bytes), 29535 replies (6573275 bytes)

I would like to mention that you can become elected a kind of 'supernode' and host a lot of torrent data, in which case your bandwidth use would be slightly higher than normal (but still not that high). but you will always be tracking torrents period.

Scuba: What you really need to grasp is that a DHT is a p2p network. The "D" stands for "Distributed" which means that the load on the network is shared by everyone on it. The data that is tracked and the requests to store and retreive this information requires bandwidth from everyone on the network.

Any DHT network is like this, including Azureus's (as you can see in the Statistics -> Distributed pane), although Azureus's DHT *is* more efficient than the one implemented in utorrent/BC/mainline, as my and your own observations can confirm.

i know what dht is. just i never knew how completely inefficient the mainline version of it is. i think µtorrent reaaaaaally needs to implement the azureus dht system as its far more efficient and has a much wider userbase ( god knows y azureus want to implement the mainline version of it when theyre own system is far better, mainline need to start using azureus system instead.) i think i will have to turn dht off for now and hope and pray i dont need to use it anytime soon. an option to enable dht for each individual torrent even though its set as off globally would be a nice addition.

ScubaSteve: it's already been said before that even almighty Azureus is going to implement Mainline's version of DHT...why do you feel the need to fragment the BitTorrent userbase into 2 (or later, possibly more) camps? :/ Say what you want, but Azureus version is not the official version of DHT, no matter how you slice it. :|

seeing as my other topic got locked for no reason in troubleshooting ive decided to post it over in here as a bug. as i said in the troubleshooting ive been seeding 2 torents both with dht disabled because of the private flag yet im still having between around 1-3kB/s of bandwidth used for absoluetely no reason at all. it has never happened on any other client ive used that has dht, i know that the dht is still new and may need some adjustments as it was reverde enginnered so i thought id bring this to ur attention.

just 2 or 3 k ? youre lucky, me its about 10kb, i set the ul to 40kb/s netmetter shows me 50-52kb used

my global max connections is 400

number conect peers is 50

and upload slots is 5 per torrent

max active torrents: 10

active dl: 5

and yes i do have dht enabled by default. but the amount of overhead isn't any different than when i used versions 1.13 to 1.1.7.2 , infact i noticed that dht hasnt increased that much overhead for me.

but its always had a good 10kb over the set amount.

could it be my router limiting something due to QOS enabled and set to auto ? if its throtteling my ul then maybe its stopping some packets from leaving and there's a backlog hapenning wich forces µt to ressend some packets. but i dont know for sure. im new to routers.

and before everyone jumps down steve's throat (or mine) about Az's dht, i think its best to cool off.

Remember its just a small thing in µt's code, not what µt is all about.

and so what if people say another program is better at something than µt ? so what ? it doesnt make µt any less of a good torrent app for a 1st version and pretty young at that still.

it just means there is room for improvement wich this and other discussions are all about.

azureus came out with dht first if im not mistaken,

no offence to ludde or vurlix but for a client that prides itself on resource usage, having it waste 3kB/s bandwidth just because its the "standard" way of doing things doesnt make it better. ppl are always comparing µtorrent with azureus and saying how much smaller and more efficient it is, but sorry to say it but azureus certainly triumphs when it comes to dht.

just because the version bram came up with is the "standard" it doesnt mean that its the better of the two systems.why didnt they just decide to adopt azureus's version ? because theyre too ignorant to admit that the azureus team have created something far better than theirs. ppl need to stop being so ignorant and start trying to adopt some of the ways azureus does things instead of constantly trying to compete with it.

sorry for the rambling but ive been waiting for dht since i first got µtorrent, and to finally get it and be so dissapointed by it is really rather annoying.

I can't understand why it would use 0.7-3 kB/s for you when it uses this amount of bandwidth for me. And I can't see that the Azureus version would be any more effective.

And if you only want to enable DHT when there are torrents loaded that don't have the private flag embedded, post it in the Feature Requests, since this is not yet implemented.

Hummm, I hope this post doesn't get into a flame war...

ScubaSteve, Animorc has made some tests on his own to compare to yours and got different results. Thanks, Animorc, for bringing more info into Scuba's issue. The least this tells us is that it's possible to have uT and Az consuming the same bandwidth under similar conditions. Based on your own findings, this tells me that this probably isn't easy to measure. It has been mentioned already that a node could get more traffic depending on circumstances.

Are you calling Animorc a liar? :| 'Cause the way I see it, he's providing screenshots as proof...

no im not calling him a liar, but its not like screenshots cant be altered. as i said, i ran both µtorrent and azureus for about 4 hrs each using torrents that had both the private flag on and off and monitored the bandwidth they used. maybe it doesnt do it as much for other ppl but for me having 3kB/s of my upload being wasted even when dht was meant to be disabled due to the torrents having the private flag isnt very acceptable.

DHT IS ALWAYS RUNNING REGARDLESS OF IF A TORRENT IS USING IT. Simple as that. Don't like it? Turn it off. It doesn't use 3KB/s of bandwidth, you're measuring it incorrectly. I'm a supernode on DHT (tracking well over 300 torrents) and it still doesn't use 3KB, it uses more like .6. Even when it's updating itself it still doesn't use more than 1.5.

Make sure you actually stopped (not paused) the torrents and waiting a good 15-30 seconds before measuring DHT's bandwidth use.

Archived