Relocate - renamed files

skold

Relocate is handy, but I prefer to rename files as well to fit with my way of organizing things (ie, id prefer Gentoo 2005.1.ISO to install-x86-universal-2005.1.iso) .. but after renaming files, utorrent has no way of knowing what they are, even if its the exact same file.

Would it be possible to have the Relocate feature also give you the option to point to a renamed version of the file? So I could go through every file in the torrent, and point it to my version of it, and have it seed from that? Since they're all hashed, it should be easy to ensure that someone doesn't point it to the wrong file. Just check the hash of the expected file and the one given, and give a warning if someone points it to the wrong file.

My best guess.... in theory it would be possible since the downloaded .torrent file contains the filename, so someone/program could edit the torrent and change the filename. But what when you redownloaded the .torrent file and overwrited the one present ? This would ruine all your name-changes. Now you might argue that the program could check the hash to verify it has the right file. You MIGHT even be right.... unless the file is incomplete, then the hash may be wrong. Hashes aren't pefect. They help validate a file, but they are based on the content and computed, so even hashes are not 100% fail-safe. Take to files with all 0's from different length.... they probably has the same hash (or checksum). Now imagine 2 pictures with a lot of black in it. A large part of the picture might result in the same hash, still the picture would be different as a whole. Hash or Checksums are never 100% reliable, but their reliability are considered near 100% if some important conditions are met....

In worst case scenario the filename & the has didn't match... so are they the same or something completely different ????

Finally... even if you had everything right.... you would have to change the name again after overwriting the .torrent file with a recently downloaded one....

Doesn't sound like it would work for files (or other folders) inside a folder.

Maybe if someone thought up a type of aliasing system for torrent files/folders to be renamed but still keep the old name for re-seeding. Would be nice, but might be impractical as well. After all we don't want to add any unnecessary bloat to µTorrent.

an aliasing system was what i was thinking of

lets say you have the original torrent, which references isofile-00001.bin

then you have an isofile.dat file which utorrent makes and saves in the same place as the original torrent.. this file tells utorrent that isofile-0001.bin is actually ISOFile.BIN, as well as telling it where its located..

utorrent can quickly check the hashes of both files to make sure it is indeed the right file.. it shouldnt be too difficult internally to save incoming data to this new filename, and send outgoing data with the original filename.

i dont know about how 'bloated' this would be, but it would be the perfect feature for me.. the only reason i stop seeding torrents is because i eventually want to add them to the rest of my files, which always involves renaming them.

• 10 months later...

ahhh... to be honest it's one of the most annoying thing for me. I rename a lot of files and I simply keep hardlinks to org. filenames when keep seeding. But it makes problems if I try to move files to different partition (as hardlinks won't follow).

Hash + filesize should be enough to identify files.... often just filesize is enough to guess witch renamed file is witch in org. .torrent. It would be a killer feature for me.

It may also be implemented by 3rd party tool, if ludde can't find time for this.

• 6 months later...

Just another bump for the _original_ feature request (renaming files in multi-file torrent).

Is it possible to get feedback from uTorrent creators? Simply "noway", "will be implemented [~project date]" or "we still think on it".

Thanks.

Add me as another one who wants the ability to rename files in a multi-file torrent.

It's especially annoying when the original uploader has named files with typos that put the files out of order or mislabeled them. Being able to rename them while seeding would mean I don't have to stop seeding the torrent just to correct them.

Really, I wouldn't think it'd be that hard to do: a quick .torrent file edit and a file rename. It'd be a killer feature.

• 1 month later...

ACK!

I just came here, looking for exactly this...

my main arguments would to being able to fix typos/adapt naming to my other files and the ability to split big downloads to two locations... I know the second one is more difficult, but i know for a fact that it worked in azureus... I'm actually thinking about going back cause i'm loading a 60 gb torrent right now to continue i have to split it between two hdds... and that does not work with my favorite uTorrent right now :-(

I just want to add my vote for this feature. It would be great to have a possibility similar to Set Download Location... for every file on Files tab.

Also would be handy to set new .torrent-file location in similar way without loosing accumulated statistic.

• 6 months later...

It seems, that uTorrent 1.8 will have the feature, described at this topic: user will be able to change manually name and location of every file in .torrent.

Screenshot from 1.8 beta

scr071114075321settargekx9.png

But why not to do it automatically? uTorrent knows hash of every file in .torrent and can find equal files with other names and even in subfolders. In the best case user will only target uTorrent to folder with similar files, uTorrent searches for equal files, downloads all the rest (if needed) and starts seeding.

spleenJack, I'm interested in your tool. Waiting for release :)

Archived