How do I stop connecting to trackers?

Zurtex

I live in a shared house, so we have a shared server that is connect to the net 24/7 that's accessed through a web interface. This is extremely useful because if everyone was P2Ping at the same time it would kill out internet connection. It allows to keep full control on the amount of download / upload going on as well.

I have, however, noticed issues when our internet connection has acted funny, not always been so slow, but sometimes won't connect to web pages on the first try and really screws up playing MMORPGs. After quite some time and investigation I have determined that is the number trackers we are connected to.

When we have too many connections to different trackers, say 20+, our internet connection goes very funny. So my questions are, is it possible to stop queued torrents from automatically connecting to the tracker until they are actually downloading? Is it possible to set something up automatically, where when torrent has multiple trackers restricts itself to the 3 trackers with the best seeds or something like that?

Any help much appreciated :).

I don't think so/not sure about having it done automatically... but yea, you can always do it manually... by removing the desired/ not working/the tracker with less or no seeds from torrent's tracker list... copy them to a text file .... and you can alway copy them back to the torrent's tracker list.

I understand that to my second question, there is a manual way of doing it, but this presents 2 problems:

1) I have no idea which trackers have 0 or little seeds

2) It would require me to monitor everybodies torrents 24 / 7

Given our student life styles, this 2nd problem is quite an issue. For example it may be 4 am in the morning, I'm sound asleep, sombody sticks 20 torrents on the list all the torrents connect to their multiple trackers, including the ones which are just queued and it screws everyone else who is online (some times 3 - 4 playing MMORPGs).

I don't really want to go to the hassle of teaching people the ins and outs of how torrents work and how to edit them appropriately, when this is clearly something that you should be able to automate.

Removing trackers won't fix your problem. Lowering the number of connections will -- your router is getting killed by the number of connections to peers overall, not due to the connection to trackers. Check the first link in my signature for ideas.

Typically for every tracker in a torrent a short connection is made once every 30 minutes (its not a constant connection). This doesn't compare to the number of connections each torrent has constantly with all its peers. If the number of connections is your problem you need people to lower their maximum number of connections in their torrent client.

If you are sure its the tracker connections (because those are http/port80 or something) there isn't much you can do except ask people to only load one or two torrents at a time. Those tracker connections are needed for torrents to work. Without connecting to the tracker a torrent won't get peers (including seeds). So torrents won't even start unless you can get peers through DHT but this shouldn't be relied upon.

Removing trackers won't fix your problem. Lowering the number of connections will -- your router is getting killed by the number of connections to peers overall, not due to the connection to trackers. Check the first link in my signature for ideas.

I am quite certain it's not the number of connections that's the problem. We already have the number of connections limited, example:

"5 torrents are connected to a private tracker, in total it has say 200 connections to peers / seeds"

The above poses no issues with our internet speed, however:

"7 torrents are connected each to multiple public trackers, with a total of 50 connections to peers / seeds"

In this example our internet goes haywire.

unticking the tracker scrape function comes to my mind if I understand your intentions correctly

o.k, I'll try this out, will this simply stop queued torrents from connecting? That in itself will be rather useful, we only allow 5 torrents to download and 2 torrents to seed at anyone point, but when people add a dozen+ torrents to the queue it also makes out internet go funny.

If you are sure its the tracker connections (because those are http/port80 or something) there isn't much you can do except ask people to only load one or two torrents at a time. Those tracker connections are needed for torrents to work. Without connecting to the tracker a torrent won't get peers (including seeds). So torrents won't even start unless you can get peers through DHT but this shouldn't be relied upon.

I understand that, which is why I've these 2 things:

1) Is it possible to stop queued torrents from connecting to trackers? (I may have an answer to that)

2) Is it possible to automatically limit multiple tracker torrents to a set number? Preferably checking which trackers have the most seeds, or alternatively I guess:

Is it possible to limit the global number of tracker connections?

Tracker connections are not persistent.

They are connected for MAYBE 3 seconds every 30-60 minutes then the connections are closed.

As ultima said, Not connecting to trackers won't solve your issue.

Then please read my example above and explain to me how that happens?

Over 30 mins hey? Well if we have 7 torrents connected to 15 trackers that's 105 connections, over 30 mins that's once every 1.71 seconds, if each tracker takes up to 3 seconds, that's continuously. More over, it's going to happen in clusters rather than at a uniform rate, which seems to fit the problem because we are unable to connect to web pages or get disconnected of MMORPGs sporadically.

I'm sorry, I missed your question about the queued torrents bit. Tbh I didn't even know queued torrents connected to the tracker hence my answer.

But indeed disabling the "Ask tracker for scrape information" option in Preferences -=> BitTorrent seems like the best hope if I interpret Ultima's manual correctly.

(Scraping stopped torrents requires the bt.scrape_stopped advanced setting which leads me to assume that since there is no advanced setting to scrape queued torrents queued torrents are scraped by default with this option enabled. And thus disabling this option might also disable queued torrent scraping.)

Please let us know if it worked.

Disabling that options has helped to some extent :). Thanks µtorrent-Guest.

Now queued torrents don't connect which is brilliant and in a lot of circumstances will now help the internet connection remain stable. But still not a perfect situation, oh well.

• 2 months later...

It's a long post and I'm contributing because I think I see the same problem just in my own 1 person household.

I've found that even with torrents paused the number of sockets (?) are so full

that my browser can't make a connection. I'm unable to reach sites that I know

are there. And looking at my data stream, using the old Haim's Netmeter shows me

that 0.00 bits of data are flowing.

So not knowing but guessing I think there's a limit on how many connections are allowed. I don't know who or where the allowance is done. But I've noticed that

if I STOP the torrents instead of pausing them I am then able to connect to sites.

Remember, in all cases there's barely any data flowing. In fact with all torrents in

PLAY mode there's still the possibility that there's no seeders. Even in that case

which has happened many times I am not able to connect via a browser.

If someone can tell me the name of the connections that is being limited I would

appreciate looking it up to read more about how it works.

I began to think about how this might work when looking at my Opeara browser settings. There are choices for how many connections the browser will make to

a web site. And then there are total number of connections the browser will make

to incoming data. The default number was something about 20 to 60 total connections and about 8 to any 1 site.

IF I had 6 torrents and 5 peefs per torrent that was 30 incoming connections. If

that was the case I would often get that 'unable to connect' problem via my browser.

So it got me to thinking that somewhere there's a limit on how many incoming connections my system will handle.

I'm running Windows 98SE with an 866mhz P III and 512mb ram, and plenty of

ram disk space (actually 700 mb).

What I don't understand is this:

When I am running lots of Opera Browser web pages I'm sure that I must have

maximum number of incoming connections. My settings have been up as high as

24 / site and 100 total. With dozens of pages open, some auto refreshing, and new

ones opening all the time I'm sure I pushed the limit but never had any 'can't connect'

problems to any sites because of it.

So that means there's a different kind of relationship between torrent connections

and browser connections.

Again I'lve asked 2x at least. If you know what I'm trying to talk about please pull me

out of my ignorance so everyone else isn't confused by my rambling.

Thanks ! : )

Andy in the USA

Over 30 mins hey? Well if we have 7 torrents connected to 15 trackers that's 105 connections, over 30 mins that's once every 1.71 seconds, if each tracker takes up to 3 seconds, that's continuously.

That's once every 17.14 seconds actually...you moved the decimal the wrong way somewhere in your calculation.

Unless you have a pretty fast connection (with 512 kilobits/sec usable UPLOAD bandwidth or more), then 7 torrents at once may be excessive anyway.

Archived