Connected to many peers but not downloading/uploading to most of them

onetwothree

I've been using utorrent for a long time and my downloading speed has always been up to the limit (180+kB/s). However since 2 weeks ago, the speeds have been really low. Most of the time it's less than 1kB/s. I'm connected to a lot of peers (>100) but I'm only download from one or two of them. Each time I get connected to a new peer, a value is shown in the download speed column for a few seconds than it goes blank. It didn't use to be like this, I'm not sure what went wrong. I didn't change anything. The only thing I can think of is that I updated my zonealarm firewall software just before this problem came up. I have since deleted zonealrm but the problem was not resolved.

I have the green tick status icon at the bottom.

My port forwarding status is ok

I'm using ADSL connection and the internet speed test result is 1118/524 Kbps (average)

I've tried testing a torrent from OpenOffice.org, Slackware Linux and Ubuntu Linux. All showed the same problem.

I've also tried trying all the other settings. None help.

What could be causing the problem?

Your ISP (along with other Singaporean ISPs) throttle BitTorrent. Try enabling Protocol Encryption and selecting xx/512k in the Speed Guide, but that's probably as best as I'm able to suggest to you. VPNs might be an option, but I don't know enough about using them with BitTorrent (or how our ISP deals with them) to be able recommend it to you.

I have enabled Protocol Encryption all along. I tried selecting xx/512k in the speed guide but the speed still remain really low. I don't think the problem is because my ISP throttle BitTorrent because I've been having good speed all along until 2 weeks ago.

Archived