running system whole night

subinoy

Hi,

As my download speed is very slow(256 kbps), I have to keep my pc on for the whole day and night sometimes. Other than running utorrent, I don't run any other program though. Will it cause any harm to my pc in the long term? I uses a coolermaster 600watt smps. Please reply.

If you're really worried about it, you can reduce its "other" settings immensely and still maintain a high download and upload speed.

I've often had mine using fewer than 20 connections total yet keeping my upload speed maxed out at 42 KiloBYTES/sec by seeding old torrents.

Just the 40 settings that aren't upload and download speed maximums.

Whether the DHT network is enabled.

UPnP enabled?

Resolve IPs enabled?

Show country flags?

Max active torrents at once, max downloading torrents at once...

Peer Exchange, local discovery, ask tracker for scrape information.

Half open connection limit...VERY important indeed if your connection's crashing!

There's even modified speed settings:

Alternate upload rate when not downloading (when seeding only)

Scheduler modes (full on, limited to scheduler settings, seed-only, stopped)...based on time-of-day in 1-hour intervals.

The advanced settings page is very busy indeed with lots of settings even I don't claim to understand. :P

"Internet Interruption or Slow Speeds?" FAQ which tells how/why to modify some of those settings:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=15992

I've been running my many computers 24/7 non stop for more than 10+ years and they are fine.

the electric bill is not a concern even if you leave just 1 computer on for an entire year non stop, it wont cost you more than a $100 if you count only the energy used by the PC.

obviously some people have not experienced the 14.4k modem BBS age, to download stuff ;)

Thanks Switeck for the information and the link, thanks to the others who share their experience of running systems 24/7. Can anyone explain why it is advised not use 'force download' option? As my BB connection is very slow, I sometimes force more than one download when any particular torrent is really slow(4-5kBps) because of lack of seeders...any problem wth that...Switeck...anyone

Because forcing downloads usually makings things worse (more for the health of the torrent and the peers connected to you then for yourself)

µtorrent starts extra torrents automatically if the maximum upload isn't met. Starting more downloads while you are already at your upload cap makes things worse for other people. In that case its better to stop the torrent that has no seeds and continue it at another time if at all (no seeds means you often can't complete it unless the availability is higher then 1 or a seeder comes back).

If there are seeds just let it run. You can't always cap out your download speed (in my case that would be more then 1MB/s which I almost never reach through µtorrent) even if its a very low speed.

If you are on a torrent that has less than 1.0 availability, you can manually set it to only 1 KiloBYTE/sec upload speed, 1 upload slot, and low priority. Once your download speed on that torrent slows to less than 1 KiloBYTE/sec, another torrent will start automatically even if it means you have more torrents started than your normal max. If you ever DO complete one of these dead torrents, change the manual settings to at least give back a little more than you got...otherwise others won't be able to complete it too!

that means if some torrent has multiple peers but no seeder than it will never be fully completed??? I am downloading two torrents of that kind... please suggest...btw, can anyone tell me the difference between seeders and peers?

AllGamer, you mean that this prog slows down fans? and what about HDD?

p.s. should be freeware one smile i hope

Nope, those programs does not work well

I buy actual fans that run Quietly, with no noise at all 14db, you can barely hear it, and that is only if you pay attention to it, otherwise you don't even hear it at all

google for SilenX

Archived