Only seed for partial downloads?

blackdiamond

What i loved at BitLord was that i could stop a torrent, mark it as SEED and it would just seed, even if it was a x% < 100%.

I don't think this client can do this... or i couldn't figgure out how to do it. I used search but could not find any.

What do i need this for? I download sometimes huge files that reach a maximum of 20% ratio, so i partial download other files that i don't need and keep them seeding to keep up my ratio.

Sorry if this can be done and i could not figgure out how.

Have a nice day and thank you for developing this. I'll be spreading the word :)

• 3 weeks later...

I also would like such a feature, choosing a torrent should only Seed. It should not preallocate nor download any files that are missing. BitComet has it for instance. The (unconfirmed) bug with "don't download file" along with preallocate does actually preallocates even the "don't" files.

It's not a bug, stop crossposting, read the FAQ.

And you can make a torrent seed by just marking all files as "Don't Download".

I didn't mean to "cross-post", I thought this topic would be a feature and that reallocating "Don't Download" files was a bug. But as you pointed out it is intentional working this way so my bad not finding the FAQ where it stated. Sorry for this.

Firon,

i think this would be very handy as well. especially when u make a torrent, you shouldn't need to have to rehash it as you have already made the torrent so u know its all there and correct. when i make a torrent in BC i just select seed when i have uploaded it, saves the extra hash check. very good option if you put up a 4gig file or so.

so i would really like this just seed option too like in BC, its very handy for many different purposes.

i want to seed 50MB out of a 5 GB file. I upload those 50MB 10 times so my overall ratio improoves. I don't NEED the file, i just help it along its way.

OR another general use: i want to download just one torrent and stop other downloads, but i want to seed the rest

That would SO fuck with piece distrobution -You're only sending out a certain small range of pieces, straining the other seeders for the pieces you dont have.

I like the idea, but the functionality is already perfectly covered via the "Don't Download" function. For torrents with a ton of files it would be a tad harder to select all the files and stop their downloads compared to a dedicated "Pause Download" button, but I don't think it's worth adding in such a button.

JigPu

i want to seed 50MB out of a 5 GB file. I upload those 50MB 10 times so my overall ratio improoves. I don't NEED the file' date=' i just help it along its way.

OR another general use: i want to download just one torrent and stop other downloads, but i want to seed the rest[/quote']

That would SO fuck with piece distrobution -You're only sending out a certain small range of pieces, straining the other seeders for the pieces you dont have.

why would it f**k the distribution? i don't get your logic. if i download x% of the torrent and uploading 10 times more i am not helping others to download it?

why would it f**k the distribution? i don't get your logic. if i download x% of the torrent and uploading 10 times more i am not helping others to download it?

It fucks with piece distribution by FORCING people to get the pieces that you don't have from others.

As chaosblade said:

straining the other seeders for the pieces you dont have.

Why would it be harder though? Ctrl A selects all the files. As does Shift End/Home (depending on where you started)

That's why I italicied "tad" :) I don't think having to do an extra 2 key presses, right click, and left click is exactly hard.

JigPu

• 2 years later...

Sorry for resurrecting such an old thread. :|

Been thinking long time ago about this feature like "don't download, but upload". Now when upgraded to 1.8 noticed that it is implemented as "seeding only" mode in scheduler. But is it available only in scheduler? or I can't find it (as button or as dropdown menu option)?

Setting "don't download" for individual files is not an option, because there are files I do not download at all (demo, samples, etc), so if there's a lot of files in the torrent, each time I need to select files individually which ones to download and which ones not to.

Thank you for great program.

Archived