tried everything

itzscratchy

so ive read over 15 different guides on how to optimize speeds,ive done everything from increasing the half-open connection limit, using tcp/ip optimizer, using all the optimized utorrent settings, port forwarding, trying other clients, etc. ive tried it all and nothing seems to help, i still get horrible download speeds. i have a 3 mbit down/ 192 kbit up cable connection and i average between 8-10 kilobytes/sec only no matter what i try to download. I even tried downloading the slackware and open office torrents that the utorrent site uses as test torrents that max out your speed and i only got 6k/sec max out of them. does anyone have any ideas as to what may be wrong with my speeds?

# EVERYTHING you've tried so far, including ANYTHING listed below

increased half open tcp connections to 50 then to 100 then to 200, used tcp/ip optimizer with best optimized settings for my connection, used port forwarding for port 42956, used setup guide to optimize the best utorrent settings, including changing values in advanced settings, downloaded open office and slackware torrents to test the connection and only averaged 6kB/s

# Color of the network status light in µTorrent's status bar (at the bottom of the µTorrent main window)

It was always green until today. now its red (I had the speed problems even when it was green)

# What the port checker from the Speed Guide writes

Error! Port 42956 does not appear to be open. (was always open before today and still gave me speed problems)

# What the Speed Guide shows your settings to be (press Ctrl+G in µTorrent)

Upload Limit: 17kB/s

Upload Slots: 2 (I have changed settings between 2 and 4 before with no luck)

Connections per torrent: 70

connections global: 117

max active torrents: 2

max active downloads: 2

current port: 42956

# Operating system installed (Windows XP, 2000, ME, 98, 95, NT? Something else?)

Windows Vista Ultimate

# Security software installed (firewall, antivirus, antispyware, antiadware)

Disabled Windows Firewall so no firewall, Avast! Antivirus, Ad-aware

# Exact router model(s), and exact modem model

Netgear WPN824v2 router, Motorola Surfboard modem

# ISP (Internet Service Provider) being used

Atlantic Broadband

# Connection type (DSL, cable, dial-up), and the results obtained from the speed test (when running the Speed Guide), for both download AND upload.

cable connection

download: 2803Kb/s upload: 167Kb/s

P.S. - (I've redid port forwarding again since this post so the icon is now green and the port is open but i still have the same speed problems)

Motorola Surfboard modems are notorious for going into a broken, firewalled state (due to NAT) for no apparent reason...and there's really no known fix for that either, other than to get a better modem. :(

The FAQ suggested decreasing half open tcp connections to 4 or less if you have problems.

Did you try disabling the UDP packet using features in µTorrent?

(This should help if you have marginal networking software or hardware.)

You do this by disabling resolve ips, DHT, and show country flags.

peer.resolve_country is already set to false, and right clicking the peers tab didnt do anything. also since disabling the dht settings slowed the speed i re-checked the boxes. is there anything else i can do? one thing i noticed is that very late at night my speeds do increase to about 30-40k/sec for a few hours, i dont know if that means anything

Archived