Why does the installer self-delete?

kelaniz

Maybe you need to do some research on wether or not that post was actually made by me.

You also need to reoconsider attacking people with inaccurate information.

My posts potentially come from 2 different IP ranges right now (one for the local cable company, the other for the local dsl), and I'm betting that the post you quoted didn't come from either.

Although utorrent self contained package is more elegant than most people are used to, I believe there should still be an option to have a standard installer. Or at least give the user the option to copy utorrent.exe (instead of move) to program files.

I put all my installation files on a networked drive and run them from there to install them on all of my 4 main computers (and many systems that i work on) so it's annoying to have to redownload the utorrent package every time I want to install it on a system. I'm constantly reformatting at least one of these systems to try different OS's, hardware configs, etc. and I often don't have internet access to redownload utorrent right away so it's just a bit of a hassle because I'll usually forget about it till right when I need it.

I know there are many work arounds, such as copying the file to another location before running/installing it, but I gotta agree with some of the previous posters the current behavior is non standard and a bit of an annoyance for some. I'm not angry or complaining I just think the current method should be more accommodating.

It always moves if you press yes ATM. I am currently looking into ways to improve it for 1.8 ;). For a future 1.7 version I could just leave behind the "installer" executable, although it really isn't what it is intended to do, and could cause a lot of confusion in some cases...

Hm. I personally have no problem with the installer the way it is, but with all the confusion abound, it's really starting to undo the purpose of the installer as it was originally requested for... That is, people who couldn't wrap their heads around having no installers could get themselves a simple installer available from the site, and the others could go left unbothered. Now, with installer-like behavior built in, people are complaining left and right because of its "unnatural" behavior.

The way I see it is, there should be a static symlink of some sort on the server that should always point to the latest build (

http://download.utorrent.com/utorrent.exe -> http://download.utorrent.com/1.7.1/utorrent.exe, for example, but can be updated whenever needed). Then an installer can be created using NSIS or something to automatically download from http://download.utorrent.com/utorrent.exe to always have the updated build. In that way, all parties are satisfied: people get themselves a "natural" installer, people who don't like the apparent "disappearing act" will no longer be confused, the devs can stop worrying about it, and Firon won't have to keep compiling a new installer every release xD

For those of us who loved DOS programs (delete the directory and poof! no more program!), uTorrent as a single small executable is really like a much-needed breath of fresh air blowing through the Windows...

For the rest who just have to have a conventional installer, why not simply make a no-frills 'installer' by creating a WinRAR SFX file or the like? Extremely simple, easy to use (just extracts to the specified directory anyway and creates shortcuts on the Start Menu) and Firon need not break his head on re-compiling it every time. Just create a batch file to call WinRAR with the required options, double-click and presto! instant installer! :)

P.S. Must say I have never yet used the in-built installation feature 'cos I exert a fanatical amount of control over what goes where on my system. I simply download a new version to the directory where I keep all my installers/dumps and then copy it to my uTorrent directory, overwriting the old version. Takes me all of half a minute perhaps from website to usage, no sweat.

Hm. I personally have no problem with the installer the way it is

Ah, but you know in advance how it works, and how µTorrent works, and that is a -vital- difference.

The biggest problem with the current "installer" is not so much in what it does, but in how it is documented. Most, if not all, confusion will be taken care of, if the first first line of the "installer"-dialog were extended. For example: "Do you wish to move µTorrent into the Program Files directory and create shortcuts? (Pressing "No" will launch µTorrent from it's current location and will not create shortcuts)"

This way, both button-actions are much more clearly documented, with much less confusion as a result.

It was definitely a big mistake to release this new installer method, admit it.

It is definitely strange and unexpected for an installer to simply disappear, and makes practically no sense. Why move, why not copy at the first place?

The bigger problem is, that the implementation of this strange concept is extremely buggy, I stopped installation once, which was apparently not rolled back correctly, so the installer refuses to install, it simply starts the app, although it is definitely not installed, because it does not show up in Control Panel (and in Start menu either).

--------

By the way, what registry enty do I have to delete to force the exe make a full installation? How can I clean out uTorrent from system (almost) completely? Where is state which determines if exe is in installer or installed mode stored?

> It was definitely a big mistake to release this new installer method, admit it.

I don't see any cause for that. The installer behaved like that all through beta testing, and I don't think it was ever seriously complained about.

Personally, I prefer that the installer "stick around" so that I can re-use it on other computers. But this doesn't rank anywhere near "big mistake" in my eyes. I thought it was an "odd choice," but I certainly never brought it up (and I complained a lot!). :P

uTorrent was the first damned installer that worked properly being installed by a Limited User. I was so happy, I wet myself a little bit!!

Ryan: Basically the use cases for me are these:

1. I download the exe and install it. Then I can move the utorrent.exe to a network share and access and install it from my other computers.

2. I download the exe and don't install it. Instead, I move it to a thumb drive that I carry around. From the thumb drive, I install it on various computers.

HTH

Well, it does stick around... If you hit yes, it just moves. Copy that "installed" one somewhere else, and you've got a new installer :P If you hit no, it stays in place and runs from there.

We're probably gonna make some changes for 1.8 so it's a bit more flexible.

Thanks for confirming that, Firon -- I suspected that was the case, but instead of trying it, I just downloaded a second copy. Like I said -- no big deal. If some committee somewhere wanted to declare this a "bug," I wouldn't give it any higher priority than "Low."

Archived