Windows Vista problem - freezes internet when run

Admiral Lanno

Whenever I run 1.6.1 on my new vista-equipped laptop, my internet basically freezes. I get disconnected from the internet, essentially. None of my firefox pages load, nothing happens, though my toolbar says I'm still connected to the internet. Even if I close uTorrent, the problem persists and doesnt go away until I restart my computer.

When I run 1.7, the problem happens too, but it goes away when I close uTorrent. I didn't have the problem yesterday and managed to download things at a reasonable speed, but then today when I went to school and used the network there, it started, and is still happening at home.

I started uTorrent and uTorrent was able to download and upload at a reasonable rate but it still froze all of my other internet. I set halfopen connections to 1 and still couldn't restore internet until I put the computer to sleep.

I'm running Vista Home Premium

edit: Now that I started up uTorrent with just 1 halfopen connection, it seems to be working. My internet seems a little more sluggish than usual but that could just be my network. I am downloading at a reasonable rate, though. If I increase the number of halfopen connections but don't reach whatever the limit is, will that increase my download speed?

I've got Windows Vista Ultimate installed and I'm having EXACTLY the same problem.

When I run uTorrent it appears as though nothing else can access anything external, and also it takes utorrent quite a while to actually start download or uploading from/to peers.

I've got uTorrent beta build 1825 (haven't installed 1875 yet...).

UPDATE: I just installed the latest 1.7 Beta release (build 1952) and it seems to be working fine. :)

Archived