1952 on Vista - 100% CPU

Computer Guru

I'm downloading a single torrent. Start up µTorrent, no problem.

It runs OK, I minimize it to the taskbar, and it sits there for a bit just fine, then suddenly i get 100% cpu, can't re-open µTorrent, and can't right-click the icon or anything.

The REAL problem is that I can't even close it from the task manager!?!?!?!?

It just SITS there.

In cmd:

taskkill /im utorrent.exe /f

returns that process has been killed, but ITS STILL THERE, guzzling my CPU.

I do not get any dump files, because it never actually "crashes"

Talk about adding insult to injury:

For some REALLY odd reason, the drive that µTorrent resides on and is writing to gets 0.000 bytes left of free space.

Only a reboot returns the freespace to the correct count and can kill µTorrent.

Even logging off doesn't kill µTorrent.

What's going on!?

UPDATE:

It's NOT a 1925-specific issue. I just tested 1.6.1 with the same results.

I'm running Longhorn Server Beta 3, using default settings, custom images, and Kaspersky 6 (per the recommendations of this forum).

I cannot get a memory dump since that freezes, as does debugging.

What are your recommendations?

I'm in the Longhorn beta program, I can tell you that the kernel and program compatibility is no different than that of Vista, I'm fairly certain that's not the problem.

With regards to Kaspersky, I was using NOD32 + Vista earlier, and only started using Kaspersky per the insistence of the forum members here who swore up and down it was the most compatible with uTorrent... Guess not :)

I'll do that and post back, though the Kaspersky logs do not indicate a problem.

They said something like this:

Cannot check d:/utorrent.exe because it's a PE archive.

Checking d:/utorrent.exe /UNCOMPACT:PE (something to the effect of "let's uncompact this PE compact")

Scan complete.

I'm in the Longhorn beta program, I can tell you that the kernel and program compatibility is no different than that of Vista, I'm fairly certain that's not the problem.

Err no? Its like saying that XP SP1 has the same program compatibly as XP SP2.

Personally, I would never report bugs that appears on beta systems. Try reproduce it on VISTA instead.

IMHO Kaspersky sucks... try uninstall that first. NOD32 works perfectly with utorrent. I have used it since the earliest beta of utorrent and it has never failed on me.

tjobo: I'm in-the-know on this particular matter, and have it on good authority from a developer that it's the same exact layer at this point.

I removed Kaspersky and that took care of the problem. You might want to add that to the FAQ btw, since it doesn't mention any AV software (or does it?) only firewalls.

I love NOD32, and regret stepping a foot out of the safehouse it makes of my PC :)

Nope, at least not that I know of. It <em>does</em> have something called "block access from computers" but I figured that was just an add-on to the IMON layer - guess I could be wrong.

NOD32 works great, always has, and I'm not leaving it again. It's IMON feature never gave me trouble with eMule, DCC, or uTorrent, and it never let a virus through :)

Archived