Download managers...

savaden

Anyone use a seperate download manager (other than one that may be built into browser) to download various files? Which do you use? Flashget? Free Download Manager? etc? Just trying to get a view of other popular fav's out there and why. Please, no comments like "I have broadband. I dont need one." The system that will be using the download manager is not connected to the internet via broadband. Thanks.

Orbit was a good one. I'm looking for a d/l mngr with a global option to :add downloads to the queue list in a paused state to start manually later. If I'm not mistaken, I thought Orbit lacked this option, and had only a scheduler....If you added a download to the queue list, it would either start automatically, or, you had to configure the scheduler, which took a couple extra steps. Nothing too difficult, just not as quick as the option I was looking for. I've been using Gigaget, which has this feature. However, Gigaget hasnt updated in a while, and the support forums are overrun w/ spam, or at least were last time I looked. Not only that, but Orbit has a nicer UI.

If my above interpretation of it's download management is not correct, I'd gladly take a second look at Orbit.

*update*

Upon trying Orbit again, I see that you can start a specific d/l manually, but, there is indeed no global option in preferences for all d/l's to start manually. You have to set each when they are added. I'll request this on their forums.

Another downfall was the inability to (again globally in preferences)monitor specific filetypes and place them automatically in preselected destination folders. (e.g. all jpg's, gif's, & bmp's upon completion are sent to a folder labeled "Pictures"). Another request I'll make.

Archived