Error: file system limitation

peroikos

I'm trying to download a simple .mdf package. BitTorrent downloaded the first 94% of the file, but then everything started freezing, so I switched to uTorrent. It works fine at first, picks up the file where BitTorrent left off, but then after downloading for a minute or so, it stops and gives me "Error: file system limitation"

What does this mean, and what do I do about it? I'm running Vista 32-bit on a wireless 3Mb/s cable connection. Any help would be great.

The file is being saved to my hard drive, which is NTFS.

At first I thought it might just be a NAT problem, since I had the red ! icon, but I went through the tutorial and fixed that.

It turns out the file pathname was just too long for that size of a file. I've gotten rid of it now.

• 2 weeks later...

I experience same behavior at any torrent exceeding 7GB only.

The torrent stops downloading at about 95-97% with the message:

"The requested operation could not be completed due to a file system limitation"

modifying a shorter path, removing DHT, clearing uT settings or retrying operation was of NO use

my machine is working on Vista 32 Business and NOD32 as antivirus

I found this bug on wikipedia too, but still unresolved..

peroikos seems you are lucky :)

Make it as short as possible, from my opinion. Once you get a certain file size, it won't let you move, copy, or anything. My advice would be to delete what you have downloaded so far, and start again, dowloading directly to the root folder.

NTFS.. but I am very sure it is not its fault

because the drive, operating system, file system and anything else can keep, copy, move, rename or play the full downloaded file (by someone else running XP)

I deactivated NOD32 but nothing good happened

also, changing the download location to the root of the drive doesn't help at all (still breaking with error at 98.8%)

• 4 months later...

Hi all

I have the latest version of BitTorrent and am having the same issue. I am trying to download a 7.81GB wmv file. It gets to 71% then reports:

"Error: The requested operation could not be completed due to a file system limitation"

I too am using Vista 32 and have an NTFS disk, with 14GB free space. I had tried previously with a similar sized file, and the same bug happened.

I don't use NOD32. Is this a BT bug with Vista?

For some reason, NTFS blocks progress with large file sizes and long file directories. Unfortunately, you are going to have to start re-downloading, saving the torrent as close to the root as you can (like c:\torrent).

This error usually only happens with torrent files with unnecessarily long file names, so if you can shorten that too, it will help.

Once it has finished downloading, rename the file something more efficient, and you should be able to move it where you want to without any trouble.

I just tried moving it and think that also the issue is you need TWICE the available free disk space as the file itself. E.g. 7.81GB file, 14GB isn't quite enough. I freed space to 20GB and I could move the file.

Going to try continuing the download now.

--

Edit: Okay that wasn't it. I now have 30GB free space, and am saving the torrent to c:\ It still gives up with the same error.

Interestingly when I try to move the file, Windows Vista also reports the same error.

The file name isn't that long either. How can I change the filename that the torrent is saved as?

I am also getting this error on Vista notebook. I downloaded first two parts of Lord of the rings(each file is more that 8GB) on my Windows XP notebook but getting this error while downloading the third part of the same movie on my Vista notebook. Surprisingly I was able to download 2354 out of 2355 piece but could not download the last part. I get teh same error when try to copy the file another folder. CHKDSk was of no help. Spoke to Sony customer care but they have no idea....

The problem has nothing to do with file size or free space on disk. But this happens only with large files usually bigger than 7-8 GB.

If someone finds the solution please post in this forum.

• 1 month later...

Hello!

New here but I've been using uTorrent for a while with no problems, until now.

I too get this error...

"Error: The requested operation could not be completed due to a file system limitation"

Using Vista 32-bit. uTorrent 1.7.5. Disk is NTFS WesternDigital WS300JD.

File size is 11.1 GB (that I'm trying to download). Stopped at 94.4%

Free space on disk is 39.9 GB.

This is the first time I've encountered this problem.

But I've downloaded files around this size and bigger before with no problems.

What gives?

Anyone know of a solution?

Thanks!

/Noiz R

is the final file path really long? (ex. C:\Folder1\Folder2\Folder3\torrent\Unnecessarily_long_description_of_the_file[DVD][Eng][Esp]_by_torrrrent.com.iso or something like that?)

If it is, restart the download with as short a file path as possible (preferably directly to C:\). Sometimes NTFS hits a wall with big files like that with long file paths.

From what I can see, it is not a uTorrent problem. When I first encountered it, before I deleted the file to start over, I tried moving it somewhere else and Windows gave me a similar error, as if it couldn't do anything with a file that size with paths that long. So, it seems to me that the problem is with Vista or NTFS, not uTorrent.

• 7 months later...

Firon, you misspoke b4, in another post. Apparently it is Preferences->Advanced->Disk Cache read and write both disabled and it will work. Windows 08 has a falt that disallows cache writing past a certain file size. It will work, as mine is working now (ahh, sweet victory!) apparently, there are faults in Vista, who would've thought:)

Oh, and it has something to do with the torrent, as it may not happen with every torrent, I am a novice user of this program, so there is work for a boffin yet!

Archived