Port Forwarding Problem

sheffeyva

First of all the setup is Motorola Cable Modem to Linksys WRT54G version 5 wireless router to a desktop running XP!

I am having problems forwarding the ports. I have followed the steps at portfoward.com as far as setting up a static IP address and forwarding a port for utorrent. Everytime I go to utorrent and have it check to see if the port is forwarded it fails. Obviously I am using a static IP address at 192.168.1.xxx but utorrent and the router states my IP address being 71.236.232.254! And utorrent uses that address to check the port. How can I forward a port onto that address?

Try connecting your computer directly to your modem -- what is the port forwarding state?

Not sure what's up with the IP address, but that doesn't match up with your current IP address shown under your name. In any case, ignore it, as it doesn't really matter; the port checker shows the WAN IP address, and you only need to care about the LAN IP address when forwarding.

Still getting the same thing. It says port ##### does not appear to be open on 67.189.118.243! I did everything on portfoward.com again just to make sure. Everything down to the Static IP! I mean utorrent still works but where the Nodes are its getting a yellow exclamation point saying others cannot connect and to test to see if the port is properly forwarded!

Does your ISP use a transparent proxy server?

(That might explain your 'ghost' ip that your router sees in your first post.)

Do you have any antivirus/antispyware software?

They often have firewalls in them too that need to be configured or disabled.

Archived