New "Show" item in speed tab

agro1986

Upload and download speeds are both distinct. Very distinct. Combining them doesn't make much sense -- if the total bandwidth is 500KiB/s, do you know if you're uploading at 20KiB/s and downloading at 480KiB/s, or if you're uploading at 300KiB/s and downloading at 200KiB/s?

Ultima of course they are both distinct, thats why there are graphs separately for downloads and uploads. But in THIS case it's a question of total bandwidth, and so it doesn't matter if uploads is x kb/s and download is y kb/s. When you a have asymmetric connection where you total bandwidth is download speed is shared with your upload speed it can be interesting to see how much of your available bandwidth is actually used WITHOUT having to calculate upload + download.

I'm definitely positive for this request since I'm using a asymmetric connection.

My connection is *highly* asymmetric. 20:1 for download:upload. I'm not seeing how this information is all too useful, or how it's related to symmetric vs. asymmetric connections... In fact, with asymmetric connections, I see even *less* use for this. Is knowing that you're using 700KiB/s total bandwidth all that different from knowing you're downloading at 650KiB/s (with the remainder being upload)? The *bulk* of the bandwidth *will* be the download rate with asymmetric connections anyway. Meh.

IMHO.

>> The *bulk* of the bandwidth *will* be the download rate with asymmetric connections anyway.

But my connection is neither asymmetric nor symmetric. The total bandwith I get can be shared freely for upload and download.

As for my connection, the bandwidth I'm supposed to get from my ISP is 12 KiB/s, and that 12 KiB/s is shared for download and upload freely. That means, in ideal condition, I can do for example either 2 KiB/s upload + 10 KiB/s download or the reverse, 2 KiB/s download + 10 KiB/s upload (or even all 12 KiB/s for upload).

The actual bandwidth I get is dependant on the time of the day. For example, in noon where the traffic is congested, I might only get 4 KiB/s (2 KiB/s download + 2 KiB/s upload or any other combinations). I want a way to quickly get this information.

That's where the "Upload+Download" comes, to know how "much of your available bandwidth is actually used WITHOUT having to calculate upload + download".

-----

Obviously, a possibility is to display a single graph (e.g., upload+download vs time). Another potentially useful way to show the info is to stack upload on top of download, as shown:

uploadstackedfk3.gif

In that way, not only can we see the amount of bandwidth utilized but also the relative upload and download proportion. In this case the name should probably be "upload on top of download"

well... for your purposes I'd recommend using a bandwidth meter instead, since it would cover all of your bandwidth, while µTorrent's graph only covers µTorrent.

For µTorrent's purposes, upstream and downstream are handled independenly. Nowhere in the program is bandwidth needed to be dealt with as a whole.

Sorry, but I don't see this being implemented.

-- Smoovious

@Ultima With a asymmetric connection I meant only the fact that your total bandwidth is shared between your upload/download. So if you have 10mbit connection your upload can be 0-10mbit depending what your download is. But the question isn't to see any specific values of downloads or uploads, only to see how much of your total bandwidth that is utilized.

@Smoovious. It's just matter of calculating the sum of to values: Download speed + Upload speed. That must be an easy thing to do.

Archived