utorrent only uses one port?

garethc

Hi all,

I've set up utorrent to use port 10514 for incoming connections, but connections establish themselves on usually at least 8 other ports (for TCP) - why is this, aren't all connections through the one port? Because of this my port forwarding doesn't work (I'm behind a router).

Thanks,

G

μTorrent, like most other BT clients, uses only 1 port for incoming connections. You need to forward that port, both TCP and UDP (UDP for DHT support). If your router is reporting that it is blocking incoming connections on other ports, you can ignore them.

μTorrent sends the port you are using to the tracker, so other peers that try to connect should only attempt to connect on that port.

BTW, when you say 'connections establish themselves on other ports', what do you mean? The only way for a TCP connection to enter the ESTABLISHED state is to have a program answer on the request port and establish the connection. The "PORT" column in μTorrent shows the port that the remote peer is using to receive connections on.

For a router, if you are using DHCP mode, that can cause port forwarding problems. For example, you may connect one day as 192.168.0.10 and the next as 192.168.0.11, so the port gets forwarded to the wrong machine. You may wish to set up Windows to use a static IP. To do this, just edit the TCP/IP settings on the connection, and manually type in the IP address and gateway (router) IP address.

I have a static IP, so I'm always 192.168.2.103. utorrent is set up to accept incoming connections on port 10514. I'm using the 'Virtual Server' function of my SMC router to forward port requests for 10514 to my IP address. However, I am seeding a few torrents at the moment and I have peers connected to ports 6885, 49660, 6881. Why is this?! I'm thoroughly confused.

G

Archived