Poor performance compared to Azureus.

urbanriot

Some people are so dense it's hard to beleive. Ok, µtorrent might not be the newbie-friendly client you were expecting, but I rarely get under 100kb/s on each torrent.

Tweak it and it's gotta be good. Also, what with the crappy measurement methods used in the test made by the Azureus developper? What about using something external and steadier not counting every pike? Something like Netlimiter for example? And i'm wondering, what does the guy that made the test of Azureus had to won? The best BitTorrent client title apparently, because Azureus gives me the same results as µtorrent and every other client (or almost) I tried before but with 30 times more RAM needed.

As previously noted by many members, it only needs a few tests. Increase/decrease the number or connections, upload slots and max half open connections and you're read for a wild ride!

have you ever seen Clerks? You sound like the Chewly's gum representative with all this "Bitspirit this" and "Bitspirit that".

You are very dismissive, not willing to learn or admit. Anyway i mentioned Bitspirit because thats the client i use, i cant possibly talk about other if i havent used them.

so a client has to be huge and bloated to be efficient?

I dont remember saying that infact i recommended comet and spirit cuz they are easy on resources. Only Azureus seems to be bloated. So the above statement is based on your imagination or lack of it.

lol is there a BitTorrent Society that is setting reference numbers now?

Bittorrent is community dependent, call it society if that suits your understanding. The numbers i recommended were based on my personal research and help from hundreds of posts on other forums, i think i mentioned that but you again chose to ignore it.

you're right - it must be µTorrent. it couldn't possibly be the peers/seeders they're connecting to.

It must be peers/seeders they're connected to, it couldnt possibly be utorrent. Ever thought of it like that? Guess not.

Yes i have seen Clerks, cant wait for Clerks 2 coming out next year.

Yusufjee, excellent posts. Some people are a little too zealous in their evangelical belief that whatever they're currently using is the best ever, simply because they're using it, and quickly close their minds to any other point of view.

I've spent considerable time since my original post "tweaking" what settings are available in µTorrent and I'm getting close to the speeds I recieved in Azureus...

However, I'm now experience a strange problem with considerable lag in gameplay in many games (such as Wolf : ET) or listening to streaming audio on other systems. When µTorrent is 200 kB/s + speeds, my streaming audio is completely disrupted and my gaming pings raise considerably on my gaming system. My router, gaming rig and downloading system are 3 different systems, and I haven't had a chance to run any tests to figure out why my bandwidth is being completely eaten up when my downloading rate isn't too high... I could be cranking out 500 kB/s in Azureus and have no issues with other internet software.

I'm going to continue to tweak, and I'm very excited I discovered this software as I feel it will only improve!

Personal test results

Speed

1.2 megabits per second

Communications 1.2 megabits per second

Storage 141.1 kilobytes per second

1MB file download 7.3 seconds

Subjective rating Good

This was my test speed if anyone wants to direct me on what my connection speed is cause this download speeds are 1/10 the speed that this says (and yes i know the popularity of a torrent plays a role but i've already used the same torrent on two clients multiple times and all times they say azures is faster. fuck azuerus i want to kick ass on µtorrent

Yusufjee, excellent posts. Some people are a little too zealous in their evangelical belief that whatever they're currently using is the best ever, simply because they're using it, and quickly close their minds to any other point of view.

I am very glad you liked my opinion. This software has an excellent future without a doubt. It can only get better. I have made it my primary client for testing purposes. The movie i use to download 2 hours now takes 4 to 5 hours but i am all up for testing so it dont matter. Remember we are the bittorrent community and its us who can help the developers not just improve the protocol but the clients as well. Out personal preferences, criticism and liking are part of this community and thats what i admire most about bittorrent (apart from obvious freebies)

To Vixen:

You should read posts not just in this thread but also in others to see what you can do to get best out of your environment (connection + computer configuration) try few tweaks i have mentioned, start with decreasing the upload speed and slots to its lowest possibly at 5KBps and 1 or 2 slots and gradually increase and make note of changes. Hope ths helps.

Regards

I had some speed problems so i decided to do some testing. What i found was that azureus dwnlds at about 30 kb/s/per torrent even when no tracker is present. On the same torrent, utorrent went about 5 kb/s/pertorrent. Azureus's upload speeds were also higher for me (have them capped at 30 and it reaches 30). Since the tracker isn't present I would think this speed is a result of better dht implementaation in azureus. If this is the problem, y can't utorrent use azureus's dht system?

Also it should be noted that i do recieve speeds of 500+ on private torrents w/ utorrent while the max speed i achieved w/ azureus was about 300. For more info see http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=2451

Last night, after a weeks worth of using and attempting to tweak µTorrent for faster speeds, I've switched back to Azureus. Three hours into using Azereus I was back to my "regular" torrent speeds of 450 kB/s compared to the max peak of 350 kB/s I made in µTorrent. No matter what changes, adjustments, tweakers, whatever I'd made I couldn't squeeze any further speeds from the software.

However, I'm very happy I discovered this software as the forums were quite informative and utilizing some of what I'd learned on this forum I was able to apply this to the other software to get even better rates. I peaked at 565 kB/s in Azureus earlier today, which is an all time high. I also have no doubt at it's current rate of progress, I'll be back to using this software in no time.

Archived