General question on accepting incoming connections

hadd2022

Hi guys, if this question has been answered somewhere I apologize, I have looked at alot of documentation/faq but none have given me the answer i need.

My situation: I am living in an appartment complex that provides cox highspeed internet, 11kbsdl/9kbsupload on dslreports. I have to sign up and register an acct to use the internet. From what I have read, it appears that there is no way I can forward ports since I dont have the access to do that. (is this true?)

I have been told that there are open ports on the network, but short of testing 10000-60000 manually with the speedchecker built into utorrent I do not know how to uncover these ports. Is there any program I can use that can detect ports that would allow incoming connections?

Also if low ports such as the 400s are open, is it alright to try and use them? I know that other programs use these ports and its not suggested but as a last resort?

I have been using port 443 but it is still not working. I am not sure if you have to use a 10k+ port or I have something else messed up to make 443 not work.

Thanks in advance

Ah really? Thats not good news. Bittorrent is not supposed to be used. If i said i needed a port forwarded for another application, could i go ahead and just use that port for bittorrent?

Basically what I am asking is, if i ask them to forward a port do they just "open" it for anything, or only for a specific program?

*edit* Would a proxy be a possibility? I was trying to set one up but it was not working, am i doing something wrong or am i wasting my time?

Basically what I am asking is, if i ask them to forward a port do they just "open" it for anything, or only for a specific program?

Open is a misleading word. Forwarding is more accurate. The router should forward incoming traffic on the µtorrent port to your PC. There is almost no chance a port is forwarded to you right now so you will have to ask your admin to forward one to you.

A lot of games require a port forward if you want to host a game. You *could* use that as excuse. However Bittorrent traffic is easy to detect and the chance a decent networkadmin finds out you are running it especially after you ask for a port forward is fairly large.

Proxy is useless in this case. If anything connecting through proxies makes forwarding ports even more difficult.

Archived