Plug-in architecture

mystere

I'd like to see a plug-in architecture. We all understand how difficult it can be to appease everyone, and a plug-in architecture makes it possible for others to work on things or provide features the original developers don't have time or the inclination to provide.

Plug-ins would have to have access to torrent information, be able to insert new GUI elements like tabstrips, modify existing elements, etc...

I don't have a problem with such plug-ins having to be in a certain language (C++).

There are lots of people out here who would like to make uTorrent even better, and since we don't have access to the source, a plug-in architecture would give us the flexibility we desire.

• 1 year later...

I think it's better to implement the features natively. Performance will be better, memory use lower. The uTorrent programmers seems to like refined, efficient code, so I'm quite happy to continue using their code only if it means I have to wait a little longer for some (trivial) feature. A plug-in architecture is going to add an extra layer of bloat.

Then you have the issue of continued compatibility; on Firefox plugins break with nearly every major revision.

• 3 weeks later...
Then you have the issue of continued compatibility; on Firefox plugins break with nearly every major revision.

And that's why the Firefox project has been an abismal failure and will never gain mainstream acceptance...

Supporting a plugin framework is the only way to combat feature creep and software bloat. If the uTorrent programmers truly wanted to keep their code refined and efficient, then this is almost certainly a necessity.

"If the uTorrent programmers truly wanted to keep their code refined and efficient, then this is almost certainly a necessity."

Who's to say it doesn't? (...besides the only programmer ludde)

He just won't tell anyone how to add plugins to µTorrent due to the problems of hacking and backwards-compatibility for older (and possibly buggy) plugins.

Archived