Nonexistent internet connection while µtorrent is running

DrKazefa

Right, I've already looked at Ultima's guide for solving this problem. I recently reformatted my computer (µtorrent was functioning well before) and this popped up.

I have tried the following:

* Disabling IP resolving in the Peers tab

* Disabling DHT (this did solve the issue temporarily. The problem arose again when I restarted my computer. DHT was still disabled)

* Disabling UPnP

* Lowering maximum global number of connections to 100

* Lower net.max_halfopen to 4

I tried the patched TCPIP.sys file, but for whatever reason, it didn't execute. Also, I use a Zoom ADSL X5 model 5654, which serves as both a modem and router. I did forward my ports (µtorrent's test says the port is open).

Network status light is green, with a check.

My connection is 1Mbit DSL from Earthlink; d/l speed: 1128 Kb/s, u/l speed: 203 Kb/s.

The Speed Guide says

Upload speed: 52 kB/s

Upload slots: 6

Connections (per-torrent): 100

Connections (global): 250

Max. active torrents: 6

Max. active downloads: 5

I'm using Win XP Pro with SP2.

Thanks.

I just turned the upload speed down to 10 kiloBYTES/sec and my non-torrent internet connection was still shot. In fact, if I turn utorrent on and download at 1.5 kBYTES/sec and upload around the same, my internet connection remains shot.

Should I change the option "Max Half open TCP Conn.: " on my router, which is currently set to 25?

On your Router?!

(I've never heard of a router supporting that setting manually!)

Set at 25 in your router should be ok.

Upload speed isn't the only thing that can overload your connection, if you left the other settings as you had them set...I can understand why you have problems.

Oh, I see...

What should I change the other settings to?

Thanks for your help so far.

(Yeah, the router has an option for it. I don't know why!)

*EDIT*

Well I have a new, unfortunate development. Every other computer connected to the Zoom ADSL modem/router seems incapable of using the Internet while µtorrent is running.

AGHGh!

Try again with ALL of this:

* Run Speed Guide (CTRL+G), choose xx/192k or xx/256k setting

* Disabling Resolve IPs in the Peers tab

* Disabling DHT

* Disabling UPnP

* Lowering maximum global number of connections to 50, per-torrent to 30

Do not forward UDP packets, only TCP packets for µTorrent computer. UDP isn't needed to be forwarded if DHT is off.

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond!

I tried all of what you said, and it worked great for a day. Just before typing this, I lost Internet non-torrent functionality again. I restarted and the problem persisted. I'm not sure what to do... Perhaps my router has some special settings I should adjust.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Sorry to revive a dead thread but I'm having EXACTLY the same problem as DrKazefa!

I've done the following:

* Disabling IP resolving in the Peers tab

* Disabling DHT

* Disabling UPnP

* Lowering maximum global number of connections to 100

* Patched TCPIP.sys file

* Forwarding ports (mutorrent says the ports are open)

I also use the Zoom ADSL X5 model 5654.

Network status light is all green, checked.

I have 1Mbit DSL, from Bellsouth, d/l 1096 Kb/s, u/l 202 Kb/s

The Speed Guide says

Upload speed: 14 kB/s

Upload slots: 6

Connections (per-torrent): 45

Connections (global): 115

Max. active torrents: 10

Max. active downloads: 10

I also tried everything you said in this post before posting myself (imagine my excitement when finding the exact same problem... and my despair when the solution wasn't fixed!) I'm not sure how to check my router traffic logs, however.

Thanks very much.

Kurrupt3d,

Those settings don't go well with your connection.

10 torrents at once with 6 upload slots each means you're splitting your upload speed as many as 60 ways.

And with upload speed max of 14 KiloBYTES/sec, that means 0.23 KiloBYTES/sec average to people.

Even the number of connections you're allowing (115) probably does more harm than good. It shouldn't take more than 30 average peers+seeds to get good to maxed out download speeds and upload speeds. And even assuming a "bad" torrent with lots of hopeless BitComet clients uploading at <0.3 KiloBYTES/sec...more than 60 total connections won't really help much.

Thanks for your response!

I lowered the number of upload slots to 3, and the number of connections to 90, and I didn't see a drastic change in download speeds (they range anywhere from 20 kB/s to maxed). Unfortunately my Web browsing still wouldn't work.

My router has a lot of strange options on it, I'm wondering if any of them might be causing this problem. Before I purchased this new router, mutorrent was working great and my Web connection was always functional.

Lowering upload slots and max active torrents at once is for other people's benefits as much or more than your own benefit. It is rude to demand lots of torrents at once but offer next-to-nothing upload-wise PER torrent in return. Having noticeably less than 1 KiloBYTE/sec upload speed PER upload slot even breaks compatibility with the BitTorrent protocol. (in short, cheating.) However this lite 'cheating' probably won't help your download speeds.

You will need to learn more about your router's settings to configure it properly. GOOGLE is a good place to start...to help you find a dedicated networking FAQ/guide online.

Archived