Local Properties should override Global Settings

Nobody

When you choose properties on a torrent, I think you should be able to choose a higher speed for just that torrent (upload or download) and it should work and not be limited to the global settings. I'm not sure if download works that way but I do know uploads do not. I don't think it's a huge change but it's one of those small easy things that can be done.

To spell it out more clearly, try setting your global upload limit to say 40kbs. Say you have one particular torrent and only that torrent to go beyond the max for uploading; maybe you are seeding that file or whatever but you want it to be a special case: you set the upload limit to 60kbs. As far as I can tell, currently, it will always be limited to your global upload limit (40kbs). I'm asking that when you put a higher upload speed in the rightclick (local) properties, that it overrides the global limit that you placed in the settings.

Setting the global settings to max and then individually handling the torrents yourself is a solution yes, but also quite a hassle and unnecessary. As far as I can tell, other clients handle themselves with local settings overriding global. It's a minor request as I don't think most people care but to me, it just makes more sense.

This seems to be a recurring question, and the way I see it, global maximums are called global for a reason: they have to be abided by globally. I think that forcing a torrent should put it out of that global constraints. I once thought it was like that, until the (IIRC) devs said that it was supposed to work within the limits.

(Note: I never force torrents, so if I'm wrong with this information, then I'm sorry ;P)

Actually, I erred in calling it local settings as then, the case would and should be said that the global settings should never be surpassed as you mentioned Ultima. It was poor vocabulary on my part.

The local settings are meant to be about individual settings (or forcing in your terms), there are there for one purpose only: greater control (over a torrent) that global settings can not address. Granted, I know you didn't disagree with this part, I just thought I would clarify what I was trying to say.

Perhaps... and just a thought::::

Have a checkbox that acts as a true/false indicator for a specific torrent to ignore the global ratio's, but only check against the torrent specific ratio's............

I have never had the need for this.... but sometimes can imagine it would be handy......

Thats rather silly, actually. This would solve some other requests people had about limiting torrents in all kinds of situations, like schudling yet wanting certain torrents to bypass the 'limited' amount.. torrent specific options should be the global limits for that torrent, In my opinion. It doesnt make sense otherwise to me, i mean, you can set it to a lower number, but not a higher ? its the same action, limiting the connection on that torrent to a number.

Archived