Multiple instances / Multiple gateways : wiki request

RedRhizome

Hello,

My configuration :

One PC running XP - One NIC - LAN access (switch) to two gateways (2 different ADSL Lines)

My questions :

1) Is it possible to have multiple instances downloading the same torrent at the same time ?

( From a Firon's post it does not seem possible, please confirm)

2) Why is multiple instances using different gateways not working properly on windows ?

2.1) Is there a trick to bypass this limitation ?

2.2) I tryed to play with ethereal but I can't see how you see which route is used cause I have only one adapter and one IP set on it, any clue ?

2.3) Should upnp work with two instances running on same adapter and IP ?

3) Is it possible to have multiple instances downloading the same torrent throught different gateways ?

I browsed the forum and I realize this topic is not new but I couldn't figure out clear answers.

I felt free to add the revelant information I found so it's all in one place. If it not fair practice, just tell me.

thx :|

---------------------------------

Using two NETWORK (IE two ISP) with 1 utorrent client How can I? - Firon

You can run two copies of the client. Make one of them run in stand-alone mode http://utorrent.com/faq.php#How_can_I_s … rofiles.3F and start it with /RECOVER

Make sure you don't have the same downloads on both clients, of course.

You'll have to bind each client to a specific adapter. net.outgoing_ip and net.bind_ip

From the FAQ:

How can I make µTorrent use a specific network adapter?

In the Advanced section, you can specify the IP for the adapter. net.bind_ip specifies which adapter to use for incoming connections, and net.outgoing_ip specifies which adapter to use for all outgoing communication.

using specific internet connection for utorrent - Firon

Windows likes to ignore the bound NIC and use a different one anyway.

net.bind_ip and net.outgoing_ip - Firon

It's Windows, this happened before to someone else. µTorrent binds the IP correctly (you can check with Ethereal), but Windows STILL sends it over the wrong adapter.

net.outgoing_ip does not work correctly - HillJack

I had this problem with my Windows 2000 installation. NIC priorities (metric) never did a damn thing for me. It's not a bug in Windows, it's most likely related to "Dead Gateway Detection" for multi-homed systems in XP and 2000. You can read more about it here.

Basically, Windows has an algorithm that checks responsiveness of the gateways for the NICs installed on your computer. If it determines the default is "slow" it will automatically reroute all traffic through another, more responsive one, hence making all your packets travel out through that other NIC/gateway until the next time the algorithm runs and Windows determines that previous gateway is now faster/most responsive.

Go to the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters and see if there is an EnableDeadGWDetect REG_WORD key. If there is, it's most likely set to 1. Set it to 0 to disable it. If it's not there, create it, set it and reboot. Windows will now abide by your network preferences by not auto-changing the default gateway ever again.

Alternatively, you can add static routes to your Windows routing table, but that gets messy when using alot of different trackers (it's fine for a few, imo).

I WANT to run multiple instances (as different users) - Ultima

You don't have to recofigure. Like I said, copy the settings.dat over to the new folder.

Lemme explain more clearly how to use multiple instances.

1) Create a new folder

2) Copy utorrent.exe into that folder

3) Copy the .dat files from %appdata%\uTorrent into this new folder

4) Create a shortcut for this utorrent.exe in this folder

5) Edit the shortcut's target by adding /RECOVER to the end of the Target, outside of any quotation marks, and separated with a space.

6) Open this shortcut. Your settings should be retained, just edit the IP and/or port you want to bind to

Repeat for each instance you want.

I WANT to run multiple instances (as different users) - Firon

You'll basically need multiple folders with multiple copies. tongue They'd all have unique settings and resume data.

1) Yes, it is possible. Just make sure the multiple instances never reference the same files.

2) What do you mean by multiple gateways?

2.3) Yes, as long as they have different ports

3) Not if you're downloading tot he same location on disk. You might be able to get away with downloading to the same location by messing with the Files tab settings and such, but I can imagine conflicts still cropping up, since pieces can belong to multiple files.

1) You could have both instances download the same torrent and split the download by skipping half of the files in each client. However DO NOT download to the same folder (make 2 separate download folders). Because of piece overlap it could mess up if you download to the same location.

2 & 3) Most probably not. Two network cards (with each a different Gateway) might have worked with the net.bind_ip and net.outgoing_ip option. But µtorrent doesn't allow you to specify routing through two different gateways over 1 network card. You could mess around with windows' routing table but quite frankly that is complicated, wont' work for two instances, might not yield much results and I wouldn't recommended it. The best option is to use two different machines each with one NIC and a different default Gateway.

• 1 month later...
Using two NETWORK (IE two ISP) with 1 utorrent client How can I? - Firon

You can run two copies of the client. Make one of them run in stand-alone mode http://utorrent.com/faq.php#How_can_I_s … rofiles.3F and start it with /RECOVER

Make sure you don't have the same downloads on both clients, of course.

You'll have to bind each client to a specific adapter. net.outgoing_ip and net.bind_ip

From the FAQ:

How can I make µTorrent use a specific network adapter?

In the Advanced section, you can specify the IP for the adapter. net.bind_ip specifies which adapter to use for incoming connections, and net.outgoing_ip specifies which adapter to use for all outgoing communication.

These FAQ entries are correct -- but the problem lies in the routing table. You can only have one default gateway.

To accomplish this, the application is going to have to make a static route in the routing table before it opens the outgoing TCP stream, and remove it when the connection ends.

THEORETICALLY (meaning, I haven't tried it). If you have a second machine on your network, you could install a proxy server on that machine and proxy incoming connections via SSH or some kind of port tunneling (not VPN). Then the default gateway on your uTorrent machine would be used for one application, and a different default gateway on your second machine would be used for the other application. (To make tunnelling part work, you'll have to allow uTorrent to accept multiple connections from the same IP address, as those connections will probably all have the same IP address, the one from the tunnelling machine).

I haven't slept in 36 hours. If none of that makes sense, drink alcoholic beverages until it does.

• 7 months later...

I am using Utorrent with multiple WANS, no problems as far as i know...

2 WANS in my fire wall, all traffic from inside to out is load balanced between the different WANS... It does double my torrent download speed. at least 70% increase.

Why do it any other way than this?

I am happy for you but this is not my topic. Please let me clarify the situation :

One PC connected to a LAN

On this LAN are available 2 gateways

Thoose 2 gateways are 2 standard adsl modems

Is there a possibility to use both ? That is the question.

----

In you case, you have a Firewall, which I don't. It looks like it is managing the load balancing for you and that provide a good acceleration. that's nice, if you can give more details like if it's a hardware box or if you can do it via software it would be nice.

----

Another option is to have one modem connected to 2 adsl line. This is called wan-modem or something like that but it's a different story.

So, for this very curious and cheap situation, It looks like I need something to do the load balancing. This looks like a process to manage packets through 2 different gateways. XP does not do that by default, maybe it's possible with the cool ubuntu.

Thanks for sharing some of your brain time, see u

=)

www.pfSense.com

I run it on a little wrap (www.pcengines.ch) But it should run on any system... with multiple nics.

To configure the loadbalancing you will either need to be quite sharp with networks configurations or read a lot of wikis and tutorials... But for me it took 1-2 hours of reading and setting up.

Remember. You can use any old pc as the fire wall just put some extra NIC in it... And pfsense is free... voila...

Using this system you have failover... if one line goes down all traffic will go on the other interface... if both are up it will randomly choose connection.

Good Luck!

Archived