BitComet->UTorrent: Migration FAQ unhelpful.

Boozeroony

G'day, I'm trying to change unfinished torrents that were being d/led via BitComet to Utorrent. The Migration topic didn't help me, so I'm either wondering what I did wrong or what I can do?

The problem as I see it is Utorrent doesn't recognise the progress of the unfinished torrent when "checking", and it won't allow me to "force re-check".

Any help is much appreciated, cheers.

Only stopped or maybe paused torrents can be force re-checked.

Make sure to remove any file extensions added to what you're downloading as well, otherwise µTorrent will just be creating a new, empty file...and force you to download everything again.

Look, don't want to be a brick or anything - but perhaps a brief step-by-step is needed if possible.

I tried the stopping and re-checking.

My unfinished Bitcomet torrents still appear to be bitcomet files, despite my attempts to change the file extension: maybe im not changing it right?

I've been fiddling with this and that, even exhausted google etc... I'm missing something..

Thanks for your time.

As the thread says, I've been unsuccessful with the Migration Guide: thus my forum post.

Perhaps I'm incredibly stupid, or computer illiterate; I can't seem to change the extensions of BitComet files? What am I doing wrong from the Migration Guide?

Thanks for your time..

• 6 months later...

[[[[ HELP ]]]], I tried with 2 small folders of unfinished bitcomet "mp3" files and successfully migrated them to utorrent without any loss. Then when it came to avi files of around 10G (more than a month of sweat & tears of downloading), RENAME.BAT turned the unfinished bitcomet files to avi files .... RENAME.BAT had earlier turned the unfinished bitcomet files to mp3 and I didn't think much of it when it started doing the same for the unfinished avi files. I AUTOLOAD the avi torrent and it's 0.00. Any way or any where I can salvage the over 80% "bitcomet" avi files ? Even tried to rename manually the files to "!ut" but that didn't work ~ cry ~ cry ~ Think I'm in deep *hit after more than 7 hours of pottering around with the AUTOLOAD folders and the torrent directory in my pc. Computer I-DYOTS like yours truly still find it a strenuous challenge with the "step-by-step" migration guide.

You don't auto-load the AVI files, you should be setting the torrents to auto-load and re-path to the location of the AVI files. If you're not sure about where they should be saved, right click on a stopped file in the torrent pane, go to advanced, and change download location. Make sure you click on the file you see where you expect it to be, then say OK.

After that right click again and go to force re-check. It will re-check the partial file and resume where it left off. If it shows 0.0% still you're not on the right file :/

jewelisheaven , I shouldn't ? What I meant was that I moved the .torrent file into the AUTOLOAD folder *___* and utorrent automatically loaded that into the torrent list. It's AFTER that, that things unravel royally. I think it was purely fool's luck that I managed to migrate the 2 previous bitcomet files ! Thanks a bunch for your quick response. Will see what I can salvage tonight out of my I-DYOTIC computer attempts - sigh ! It's a terrible combination ....... to be severely IT-challenged and a downloading addict.

Have a nice week-end ! I live in hope that force re-check would miraculously revive all my avi files ^___^

jewelisheaven, THANK YOU for making my week-end. Got every gigabyte successfully crossed over from bitcomet. Yubba Dubba Doo !! A 7 seconds kind of a migration problem took me 7 hours and I was still nowhere to finding a solution. Talk about feeling soooooo *tupid. Was sweating bricks just now as a 17.7G file refused to start/force-start. While frantically searching the FAQs and trouble-shooting links in this forum, the darn thing started without my knowing - just got back from checking my desk-top. Once again, thank you so much, dear =D

Honeyfrog, I am a certifiable computer I-DYOT (sounds better than idiot) as your simple 2 sentences just flew over my head :rolleyes:

• 3 months later...

Hey y'all...

I found out two things trying to migrate from BitLord back to uTorrent (so ashamed...) What I had to do was go back to the migrating guide and copy and paste the .bat code into notepad. One person said his files turned into the wrong extension. I suggest copy and paste is the way to go on this process. I could not get the code right to save my life, and I typed in a lot of code from magazines back in the good ol' days of the Commodore 64.

I was also using a file viewer called Explorer Plus, and this seems to have had some strange influence as well, for even after correcting the .bat file I still couldn't see any change in the file extensions.

Now everything is going great, and this is good, for I had well over 200 files to rename.

Hope this helps someone.

chilehead53

Archived