How To Spot Cheats In The Client Lists

utorrentfanatic

okay so im new here hi everyone :)

ive been using Utorrent for as long as i can remember now (well about a year maybe just over) and i like it alot. But being on private sits all i hear about is cheaters this cheaters that well im not a cheater and quite honestly i hate anyone who does cheat the ratio systems. But i was reading up on spoofed clients etc and i was just wondering how do you actually see the spoofed client in the clients column in utorrent? For example i read about a patch or mod to make bitcomet look like utorrent (or something along those lines i lost the link) well how do you spot that in the client list? is that possible? If it is then can i ban them using the IPFilter and will it keep the ban for them even if they stop spoofing? Also does using proxies actually cheat the ratio system? i honestly cant see how it does as im behind a proxy on my ISP (well so they tell me) and my ratios dont go doolally lol

just thought id ask since it bugs me these days

I'm not 100% sure if we are talking about the same (ghost leecher), but I've noted the following pattern:

1. a peer is having 0.0% of file (well, nothing wrong - everyone have to begin)

2. So he download from me.

3. But doesn't matter how much chunks I send - he still indicates 0.0% of file

4 ...and, consequently, doesn't upload anything to me.

In other words - such peer always pretend to be the beginner "give me something!, give me something! - I'd love to give you anything but I don't have anything yet". But the raising number of uploaded data to him makes his cheat so blatant that in fact I think it wouldn't be too hard to implement effective anti-ghost leeching algorithm into utorrent.

Preferences -> Advanced ->

bt.send_have_to_seed: Enabling this option tells µTorrent to send a message to other seeders indicating how many pieces you currently have.

Set this to false to simulate the behavior of crappy BitComet versions and annoy all seeders you download from.

Or, better, don't. ;)

Ekhm.

I don't care if peer client is showing its download progress correct or not (although it may seem strange indeed).

But when it is hiding it AND is using the mechanism for not sending a single byte of data to others, then yes, this is cheating.

Archived