Some option questions, and a thing on a hash check system

kariensaman

I'm a utorrent newbie (I think I said that on my first post somewhere too, but anyway), and I just want to know: what's the difference between Start and Force Start? What is Force Re-check? And is there any feature, if it's not Force Re-check, that enables you to check the data you downloaded besides the client's automatic hash check system? You see, I'd like to check myself the data I downloaded without having to wait for my computer to hang (God forbid) to re-check all of it.

Firon: That seems like a kinda stupid idea to me.

kariensaman: Sounds like you are a bit of a BT newbie in general, no offense ;) Suggest you read the BT faq for more info about hashing and stuff like that so you understand the options more thoroughly.

Force re-check does what you described. However, many torrents include an .sfv file, and I suggest you use that with a program like QuickSFV to check your files too. As far as waiting for your computer to hang, all pieces are automatically hash-checked on reception, so once the file is downloaded, you don't really need to re-check it anyway.

Force Start will override any settings you have set to prevent a torrent from running, eg. if you're running the Scheduler, or if you have a number of other torrents already downloading and it's queued.

Of course, that's why many of the functions are documented in the FAQ (such as all the advanced settings, and various other things), and good questions are answered. But Force Start and Force Re-check? C'mon.

for example Force Start, common sense says that µTorrent tries harder to connect,

but what does it really do? :P

Purge the peer list and request a new one to use or does it try

to connect several times in a short time period? ;)

So you see, common sense isn't perfect ;)

3 letters. FAQ.

Force Start isn't in the FAQ.

I've been using BT for a long time, and I've never seen that terminology, and a Google Search doesn't help either. In fact, I think this thread is the only place it is explained.

As far as the other "I haven't had sex in a long time so I'm going to be unhelpful" answers, it isn't a good idea for newbies to just start clicking on everything rather than asking.

Also, although I've never used Azureus, I've used most of the other clients, and the wording of commands in uTorrent avoids most of the standard usage.

For example, most other clients simply call that command "Hash Check", which immediately tells you the subject and action, rather than "Force Re-check", which begs the question "re-check of what" as well as "force how"?

But I should expect these sorts of responses, since the purpose of Forums is to give people a way to mindlessly express their support of some arbitrary thing, such as a software program.

TheDude: go to another forum then, no one's here to help YOU, and only you. :) However, everyone else here is entitled to help, as the other threads in these forums demonstrate.

Also, most people have no idea what "hash check" means. Force re-check makes more sense to the average user than hash check does.

Archived