Not downloading!!!!

starlife

I have cheap cable (~50kbs upload), use uTorrent without any of those "bloatware" utilities (I'm presently using AVG Free, eTrust PestPatrol and Spybot as my only "fulltime" apps).

-- I've always had the "red exclaimation point" due to being firewalled and not port-forwarded. Yet this does not prevent me from uploading at 44kbs and downloading at the fastest speeds the other peers are willing to grant me.

I've had speed troubles, but I've narrowed my instances down to these situations:

1. ISP throttling likely due to fakebot pingstorming. Potential solutions include removing bad trackers from the tracker list, restarting a lot, waiting a couple weeks to trade that torrent, trying a different client for awhile, and switching providers.

2. Hardware overheating or other problem causing a step-down in performance.

3. Software issues (e.g., Windows update, et al).

4. My download destination was a networked drive on a machine which had a utility which periodically defragged, and did so with such tenaciousness that uTorrent could barely get its read/write commands to the drive while the process was going on. Since the drive was a 300gigger which was often full right up to the brim, it would want to spend DAYS defragging that drive on an otherwise adequate-to-the-task 600mhz machine. When the daily anti-virus full-scan kicked in coincident with defragging, speeds really went down the crapper.

Drove me nuts once a month for about half a year before I figured it out.

Archived