Bugs found in 1.78 beta (build 2448)

sphynx

Type:

Installer bug - the install paths are incorrect. The installer is placing the exe in the user's doc folder rather than the Program Files folder. (createss a Program FIles folder in the user docs folder).

File type assoctions - Program asks to re-assocociate with .torrent file types every time at start-up even though it is already the defualt handler for .torrents

Download path - opening the '...' button to specify a download/any file path directory results in only the default c: drive dektop directory being displayed with no other branches for the rest of the hard drive.

Note: my docs sit on a different partition to my programs. I don't know if that has confused uTorrent - alhtough 1.61 could handle it.

That is all...for now ^_~

Installer bug - the install paths are incorrect. The installer is placing the exe in the user's doc folder rather than the Program Files folder. (createss a Program FIles folder in the user docs folder).

It does that if read or write access to Program Files is not allowed.

File type assoctions - Program asks to re-assocociate with .torrent file types every time at start-up even though it is already the defualt handler for .torrents

Could be a uTorrent bug on Vista. Filed.

Download path - opening the '...' button to specify a download/any file path directory results in only the default c: drive dektop directory being displayed with no other branches for the rest of the hard drive.

Sounds like typical Windows behaviour - do you have "My Computer" on the desktop? Browse in to there...

Note: my docs sit on a different partition to my programs. I don't know if that has confused uTorrent - alhtough 1.61 could handle it.

Should be fine. Does 1.6.1 behave differently on any of these issues on Vista?

Testing build 2465:

.torrent associtaion fixed

file/download path fixed

installer bug fixed (when would the Program Files folder be allowed to be written to? When UAC is off?

note: my reference to 1.6.1 was back on XP.

Well done devs! :)

Er? 2465 was released *before* alus responded here, meaning none of the things you mentioned were even touched. If it's "fixed" in 2465 when none of the reported bugs have been looked at, then there was no bug to begin with, as the only thing that changed between 2448 and 2465 was that the /NOINSTALL switch was added...

2465>2448.

However, I was wrong about the bugs being fixed - your right on that. Also - every time I launch the exe it asks me to install the app again instead of just launching it. I wonder'd why but then I realised it was a problem with my work-around.

The installer is still unable to write to the right Program Files folder. This is the source of the other issues that arn't actually bugs - merely scripts uTorrent follows when it think it's being run for the 1st time. (I was launching the wrong exe).

Not quite Vista compatable...yet

The installer does indeed write to the "right" program files directory... if you don't run it as admin it can't write to the main program files dir.

Don't press yes when it asks you to install if you are running it from program files without admin permissions and you want it to stay there without admin permissions.... but a warning - if you do this you will _not_ be able to update it from there!!!!

I forgot that admin account in Vista isn't the same as an admin account in XP. Running the exe as right-click admin solves all the issues i've been having.

However that is a a short-comming itself. uTorrent should be able to elevate itslelf as required with or without UAC. All my other programs can.

Huh? Why should a mere BitTorrent client require administrative access? Just because other applications make use of functions limited to the administrator doesn't mean µTorrent should. If you need to run it as an administrator, run it as such on your own accord like any administrator would.

For anyone who likes to be organised. That's why. One thing does strike me as strange, the only way this scenario could occur is if the devs decided that uTorrent wouldn't attempt to write to the c: program files folder to begin with. But then why create one in the user docs? If it is attempting to write to c:\program files then why didn't UAC come up? Hmm, this may be due to my local security policy (aka modfied UAC). I'll test default UAC on uTorrent see what happens.

note: if you say that UAC shouldn't some up if at default setting then you've just killed your own argument (think about what UAC actually is).

@Ryan Norton - never assume.

"If it is attempting to write to c:\program files then why didn't UAC come up?"

I'm afraid that is a rather involved question; you're going to need to study up on process security and user permissions.

In short, on a modern operating system like Vista a process cannot elevate itself to have more permissions - there is no way to "ask" UAC for more permissions, and it certainly doesn't magically come up with you try to write to program files. A process, like uTorrent, has to actually relaunch itself as an administrator in order to do something like this.

In the future, the relaunching may be more automatic and we might have more fancy stuff like the UAC shields on the dialog buttons; but the framework for this really isn't in uTorrent at the moment.

http://www.helpware.net/VistaCompat.htm

Allowing administrator access by default in Windows was a *major*reason for much of the security problems in Windows, so it makes absolutely no sense to me why we should go back that way if there isn't an absolute need to. Just because one or two users want to organize their system %programfiles% directory? Then run it as an administrator yourself if you need it writing to the system %programfiles% directory. Other users who don't need it shouldn't be subject to it. As it stands, µTorrent *is* installing it in an organized location -- the user's %programfiles% directory. Doesn't cater to your needs? Nothing's stopping you from moving it around.

IMHO.

I see your point.

Qustion: If a user installes uTorrent as a normal user and then moves the installation folder to the main Program Files folder (going though UAC inthe process) - would that mean that uTorrent is then run as a admin everytime at launch? I would think not (only the action of moving the folder would cause a prompt). And if this is the case - then the way I see it is that the uTorrent installation would utilise administrative access upon it's install and then nolonger attempt to.

By the way - attempting to write the main Program Files folder does, in fact, prompt UAC.

However, arguing is irrelevant in this case anyway since i've solved the problem. As for uTorrent and UAC: It is commendable that uTorrent devs are attempting to protect the user. But 'IMHO' the process behind it (not the reason) is logically flawed.

Archived